what is this, a charity shop romance novel?

"I hate sitting at the front," mumbled Chinhae as they took their seats in the Theatre of Tales.

"Unfortunately, Chae, it's part of the Raiden's In A Wheelchair, Sorry exclusive package," drawled Raiden, parking himself beside them. "This is perk number 343, which is Raiden's chair doesn't fit in any of the other pews, so we have to sit in exposed seats."

"Sorry," muttered Chinhae, looking rather abashed. "I just--"

"Don't want to stand out on the first day. I know, It's fine." Raiden gazed around the Theatre. "You don't have to sit with me, you know. I'm sure you'd rather have more fashionable lackeys."

"But I want to sit with you," said Chinhae, confused. "We're friends."

"Aww," Raiden patted his cheek. "Thank you, dear. Looking for someone, Marcus?"

Marcus, who had only been half paying attention, jumped. "Oh, I was just-- yes, actually, I was looking for Ros."

"Is she not here yet?" Raiden turned in his chair to peer across at the Never side.

Marcus shook his head, keeping an eye on the students filtering through the doors. To be fair, it wasn't as if the hall was particularly busy, yet--they were early-- but he'd prefer to know that she'd gotten here safely. Knowing her, though, she was probably going to be late on purpose for the drama of it.

"Is she the only Never we know of?" asked Chinhae, eyeing the students clad in black leather, presumably for someone else he recognised.

"No, she's not," said Raiden . His roommates turned to him in surprise. "I believe you'll recognise this lady, Chae--" Without missing a beat, his arm shot out and snagged the sleeve of a Nevergirl.

"Passing by without saying hello, Sammy?" he asked pleasantly.

The girl turned towards them, exposing herself as tall and muscular, with a short slashed line of dark hair and brown skin dotted with old scars. "Well, well," she said with an impressively mocking smile. "Look who scraped together enough morals to get onto the Ever side. Anyway, Akiyama, you couldn't think I'd have been so rude. I just happened not to notice you. Compared to the rest of the hunks here, you're kinda...lacking." She winked at Chinhae, who, surprisingly, smiled back.

"Aww," said Raiden. "I'm sure I'll cry myself to sleep over that one tonight. You have such a way with words. Certainly better than your shooting." He turned to his roommate. "This is the lovely Samiya--"

"Sam."

"Sorry, Sam Balakrishnan. She and I have had a little tiff--"

"I broke his five year winning streak in Flintlock at the Maidenvale Shooting Tournament." interrupted Sam. "And he broke mine in Crossbow. And now neither of us can get it back."

Raiden patted her elbow. "You'd think she was a gracious loser, wouldn't you? Of course, she's a dirty liar who left out the fact that I was the overall winner last year, but that's just a trifling detail, isn't it? Chae knows the truth, he's been to watch every year."

"All true," muttered Chinhae. His knife-edge jaw was twitching slightly--he was trying not to laugh. Marcus raised his eyebrows at him, and Chinhae lowered his voice; "They've had this going on for years, now. Every year they both turn up, can't beat one another, one of them wins overall, and then they fight a lot. It's half the entertainment."

"--It's got nothing to do with that, Akiyama," Sam was saying sweetly. "And it's got everything to do with the fact that you're a smug git."

People in the pews and the aisle around them were starting to pay attention, now. Marcus could hear several people laughing. It appeared that this feud was not only known to Chinhae.