in which seohun is neither morally nor fashionably decent

It had started just after her elder sister had left for Good.

Like, half an hour after.

Ros and her family had returned to the castle and gone for an early, distinctly depressing dinner. Ros hadn't paid much attention to it, too busy mourning the loss of her playmate. She loved Marcus, but he was useless at wrestling or climbing trees or making mud pies. He was the referee and the moderator, but what use was a referee if there was no opposition? It was no fun if Ros was afraid of hurting him. She could pummell Alex as much as she liked. Alex was the big sister, and she was indestructible.

Some of her sulkiness must have shown on her face, because one of the court ladies--some Duchess who Ros didn't know the name of, the one who always smelled of talcum powder and was probably at least a thousand years old--smiled sympathetically. "Missing your sister, dear?"

Ros had muttered something affirmative.

"Now, dear, you mustn't sulk. Don't you want to go to Good, too? You'd fit like a glove, there." She'd pulled the leaflet they'd been given by the Flowerground conductor from her pocket and waved it at her.

Ros had shrugged, poking at her food.

"Isn't it a bit early to ask that?" Agatha had suggested, but the Duchess brushed her off.

"Never too early, my lady. Besides, she's nearly thirteen. Next year, she'll be in the lower age bracket. Come on, Princess. What's gotten into you? Usually, you're so sweet."

She'd blinked at her. Ros had known what she was expecting. What she usually did when reprimanded; smile, apologise, and fix it. But having it pointed out...the smile had died before it reached her face.

Mercifully, Tedros had saved her before she said anything stupid. "Oh, I didn't really want to go, either. Especially not at their age."

Agatha had frowned. "I didn't know that."

"Yeah, I was really hostile about it. It's normal to be slightly reluctant. It's part of growing up."

"Right," Ros had echoed, getting the impression he was trying to help her. "It's...a lot."

The Duchess had looked somewhat mollified. "Well," she'd said brightly. "At least have this!" she put the leaflet into Rosalind's hand. "It'll make you feel better to know that Alex is somewhere nice. And you can look forward to going, too!"

--

It hadn't made her feel better.

Ros had gone upstairs, and read the leaflet once.

Then twice.

Then she'd fled for her parent's room.

"It looks horrible," she'd cried, flinging herself into her mother's lap. Tedros was nowhere to be seen, presumably either walking the dog or "training" (which tended to actually be "raiding the kitchens").

Agatha hesitated, slowly marking her page and setting aside her book.

"Well, it's not-- um-- it's not really--" she'd looked helplessly at the crumpled leaflet. "I suppose it is a bit... oppressive."

"Why did she want to go?" demanded Ros. "Etiquette! Beautification! They'll eat her alive!"

Agatha looked pained. "I... did think that," she picked nervously at her cuticles. "I did say to Alex that she didn't have to go, but she was adamant. You know what she's like when she's set on something. There's always Weapons Training. And she'll probably like Animal Communication."

Ros screwed up her face. "I wouldn't."

"That's because you don't really like animals, love. Alex does."