Chapter One

Chapter 1

Twenty-nine years ago

"You-"

"Shhh!"

A hand grips around Tang Guo Dong's arm and pulls him hard into an almost invisible alley as he sprints past a building, and both he and his companion press themselves tight to the uneven walls behind their backs, holding their breaths until the little gangsters who are carrying fruit knives and yelling profanities run past the alley they are hiding in.

Chen Wen Hao takes a look at his slightly skinnier companion, and somberly, speaks, "If they come back for us, I'll be behind covering for you, and you run first!"

"This is not the time to play heroics! If we fight, we fight together, and if we run, we do that together too," Tang Guo Dong glares at his friend and says in between harsh pants.

After catching their breaths slightly, both men begin to venture deeper into the alley. Trying their luck with every metal gate they come across in the alley, they hope to find an open one letting them through the building to escape on the other street, but it seems as if fate is against them today — even after searching through the whole alley, not a single one is open.

Tang Guo Dong's forehead creases in a frown. "We can't keep hiding like this. Unless..."

"Unless what?"

"Unless someone goes out first to divert their attention, and that's the only way the other one of us will have an opportunity to run," Tang Guo Dong looks up, nodding towards the alley's exit, illuminated by the streetlights and repeats what Chen Wen Hao said just a few moments ago.

"Are you kidding me? Didn't I just bring up this possibility earlier?" Chen Wen Hao side-eyes Tang Guo Dong, who is standing right next to him.

He's suddenly hit on the head by the man, who's a year older than he is.

"What you said earlier was impulsive, what I just said is the conclusion I've come to after some deep considerations."

"Yes, yes, how about, let's swap over. I flee, and you stay. After all...," Chen Wen Hao laughs, "I still have Li Zhen waiting for me."

"Didn't someone just offer to help me get away while he stayed to clear things up? It's really as they say... once you get a woman you abandon your brother."

Their shirts are drenched thoroughly with sweat. Both men speak leaning against the wall, and Chen Wen Hao lifts an arm to wipe the sweat from his forehead. He smiles, "I intend to marry Li Zhen right after she graduates. What do you think?"

"The both of you have been together for so long, it's about time you both started a family. If you have a kid I'm calling godfather first!" Tang Guo Dong says, while moving his gaze to the pile of concrete slabs and cement bags sitting right next to the wall, and also the cart sitting a little further from the bags, obviously used to transport them.

Chen Wen Hao points at the cart, immediately understanding what Tang Guo Dong is thinking and the both of them move in the direction of the cart. They first move the toppled-over cart into an upright position, before moving each cement bag into the cart and also adding two concrete slabs right at the top of the pile.

"You want to be the godfather? Why would I have a problem with that? Remember to give the kid a bigger red packet!"

"Not a problem. Once our power and position are stable, we'll have all the money we want. Would I be afraid of you extorting me for red packet money?"

"Alright! With your word on that, I guarantee I'll let you leave this place alive. If not, my future son or daughter will miss out on a few good red packets."