Chapter Three

Chapter 3

  "Meng Shao Fei, wake up!"

Tang Yi walks over to where Shao Fei is and yells at him a few times, but the man hardly responds. He crouches down next to Shao Fei, who was still animated and alive the night before. Now, Shao Fei's face is flushed red with cold sweat beading all over his head, curled up into a ball and repeatedly mumbling that he is cold. Pressing the back of his hand to Shao Fei's forehead, Tang Yi can feel the higher than normal temperature radiating from Shao Fei. Immediately, he pulls the jacket covering Shao Fei's body away from him, and checks the wound on Shao Fei's arm.

"Meng Shao Fei."

Shao Fei finally wakes under the force of Tang Yi's next shove to his shoulder, and blearily replies, "What?"

"You're running a fever."

The cause of his fever is obviously the infected cut on his arm, and if they don't treat it immediately, it may result in something more severe, so they have to send him to the hospital as soon as possible.

"It's fine, just let me sleep a little bit more."

Deciding not to give Shao Fei any opportunity to refuse, Tang Yi grabs onto the back of Shao Fei's neck directly and pulls him to his feet.

"Those people may turn up at any time looking for us, we have to leave quickly. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm good," Shao Fei answers weakly, rubbing at his nose and still disoriented from sleep.

"You're sure you're okay?"

Shao Fei forces himself to straighten and tosses Tang Yi a look, trying to look strong and says, "You just worry about yourself."

Both men venture back out into the thick of the forest, leaving the abandoned structure behind them one after the other. Shao Fei presses at his right arm which is throbbing in pain and follows in Tang Yi's footsteps unsteadily. Due to his high fever, even his vision is blurry, so all Shao Fei can do is to force himself to focus on Tang Yi's back and move forward. However, he fails to notice the tree branches that have fallen horizontally right in his path, and with one wrong step, he's falling forward. Hearing all the movements behind him, Tang Yi's quick reflexes have him turning around and deftly catching Shao Fei in a tight embrace, preventing him from falling over.

"Be careful."

Shao Fei looks at Tang Yi with a strange expression, and before he can even say a word of thanks, Tang Yi has already let Shao Fei go and continues in the direction he was walking in.

Barely taking half a step, Shao Fei then feels something hard under his shoe, as if he's stepped on something. Moving his foot away, Shao Fei realises that it's the lighter that Tang Yi refuses to let anyone touch that is sitting in the wet soil, so he picks it up and puts it in his pocket, intending to return the lighter to its owner once they're safely out of this predicament.

At the path leading to the way down the mountain, a van is parked right at the side of the road. Two men clad in black - one of them leaning against the door to the driver's seat and the other standing right in front of the vehicle - scrutinise every other car or motorbike that passes them on the road they've stopped on.

"Damn it! Talk about bad luck, even here there's an ambush."

Shao Fei surveys the situation and possible exit route before them, hidden behind a tree. As he is running a fever and given no means to lower his body temperature, Shao Fei's every exhale is difficult and filled with hot air.

Suddenly, a large motorbike passes by the side of the van loudly, but fails to catch both men's attention, and with a sudden flash of epiphany, Tang Yi stands up immediately and leaves their hiding spot.