Songs in the Leaves

"You're crazy," you nervously whispered to Camilo. "If I'm in the prophecy, shouldn't I be staying as far away as possible from Casita? Plus, your family hates me."

Casita sensed your presence and happily bobbed its tile walkway.

"Casita doesn't." Camilo remarked with amusement as the house welcomingly flung its door open.

"Maybe it should," you worried, stepping inside. "What if I knock over the candle while jumping around?"

"Why are you jumping around?"

"It's a hypothetical."

"Well, I know that you're entirely innocent, (y/n), so we have nothing to worry about," Camilo assured you, sliding a hand around your arm and trying to pull you up the stairs. You stubbornly shook your head and didn't move. "A little help, Casita?" He grunted.

Casita clattered its stairs and bumped you up to the top. Casita was a traitor. You jokingly glared at the steps. They lifted apologetically.

"We're gonna wait in my room," Camilo explained, walking to his door. "Luisa will come and get us."

A mischievous, gremlin-like caricature of Camilo decorated his golden door. It looked nothing like him with its wispy baby hair and exaggerated sneer. You tried not to laugh.

"It's okay," Camilo conceded, noticing your expression. "I think it looks ridiculous, too." He held the door open for you and you walked through.

It wasn't that his room was disappointing... It was just odd.

Misshapen blobs loafed across the entire floor, rising and falling like breathing jello. The moment Camilo stepped in, a faint pink tinge shot across the globular surface.

"Boring, huh?" Camilo's chuckle right next to your ear sent sugary chills along your body. You'd forgotten he was right behind you.

"It's not that bad," You desperately tried to make him feel better. "You can do plenty of things in here, like maybe jumping?" You jumped to illustrate this point, but the blob sucked your foot down with an unceremonious squelch. You quickly changed course. "Or maybe you could-"

"Don't. It's okay," Camilo smiled like he had a secret. He lightly tapped you on the nose. "Watch." He closed his eyes and breathed in deeply.

Suddenly the blobs were melting, twisting, changing form like playdough. Realistic, leafy trees broke through the ground and towered overhead. A bubbling stream rolled across the floor. The ground underneath your feet shifted into dirt and pebbles. A fire sparked in a pile of logs.

Camilo watched your reaction with a grin. He theatrically snapped his fingers, and a million, glowing fireflies exploded into existence all around.

"Woah..." You breathlessly spun in a circle, craning your neck to take in the twilight forest he'd created for you. "Camilo, this is amazing!"

"Yeah?" Camilo hopefully beamed at your praise, then waved his arm to create a smooth, tall rock for you both to sit on. You joined him and snuggled into his shoulder. He rested his head on top of yours. "I can make you anything you like."

You thought for a second. "Can you make a guitar?" Almost immediately, a beautiful, jet-black guitar fizzed into existence, budding off of the rock. You eagerly picked it up, curious if it would have a good sound.

"Play me something," Camilo begged, his green-brown eyes earnest. "I've never heard you sing before."

Your fingers glided over the guitar's neck, and you started to pick a light melody.

Author's intervention: To make this scene more personal, I want you, the reader, to pick the song that you sing for Camilo. Bonus points if you can play it while reading the scene. I'd pick All About Us by He is We or Safe and Sound by Taylor Swift. I'd suggest a quietish song!

You cleared your throat and started singing. Your voice was simple, but Camilo leaned forward, his eyes mesmerized. The light of the fireflies danced in his eyes. Crickets accompanied you with their methodical creaking, and an invisible breeze rustled in the leaves.

A flock of golden, glowing butterflies illuminated the nearly pitch-black darkness and swirled around your hair. Camilo blushed, and you wondered if they had been accidental.

When you struck the final chord, you allowed it to drift into the wind without touching the string to stop it.

The moment felt magical. You never wanted Camilo to stop looking at you like you'd saved the whole world and then him.

Reality flickered back into his gaze, and he awkwardly pulled his eyes to the rippling fire he'd created. You both stared forward at the fire like its flames were somehow entrancing.

Silence.

Say something, Camilo. You had no idea what he was thinking right now. Breathing heavily, hands thoughtfully linked underneath his ruana.

Your heartbeat lodged itself in your throat. You couldn't think of anything to say to the mysterious shapeshifter next to you. The crackling warmth from the fire flickered over your face and you saw its orange light reflected on your own hands. Should I hold his hand? Should I kiss him again?

"I love you."

"What?" You breathlessly glanced over.

He finally returned your stare. "You heard me."

You didn't say anything for a painful heartbeat. It had only been three weeks, if that. Do I love him? I think I do. I'm not sure.

"Don't say it back yet." Camilo leaned closer to your face. Your noses were almost touching. "I know it's fast, (y/n). It's not supposed to be this fast." He gently frowned. "I needed to tell you."

You blushed, your head reeling. You subconsciously moved forward until your nose brushed against his freckled one. It was a staring contest. Both of you silently daring the other to look away. And hoping they wouldn't.

"I thought I told you, it's creepy to stare." Camilo whispered.

His hands were suddenly pressed against your cheeks, holding your face. You leaned forward to kiss him, but his hands didn't let you. He raised his eyebrows with a roguish half-smile. He wanted to win your imaginary staring contest.

"You're being petty."

"Maybe."

You wrapped an arm around his neck and tried again. An invisible force dragged you toward him, but his hands held you away from his lips.

"Y'know, if you want to kiss me so bad, ask nicely, Mariposa." He playfully narrowed his eyes.

"Kiss me, Camilo. Please." You breathed out. You didn't even care right now. You'd hate him for this later. Not now.

"Heh. Okay."

And he did.

He pressed his lips into yours, starting slowly, like liquid honey. You lost your hands in his thick curls and yanked him closer. His arm twisted around your back, and Camilo kissed you faster until you couldn't breath.

"Camilo?" An uneasy, deep voice sounded from his door. You and Camilo sprung apart, but it was too late. Your hair was tousled and your lipgloss was messily smeared on Camilo's face.

Luisa stood in the door frame, looking overwhelmingly uncomfortable.