Book Three: Chapter 6

After Heracles found his lion coat and blade, Roger escorted him toward the tunnel end where sunlight bloomed. Roger shielded his eyes from the bright afternoon sun outside.

Two miles from the cave stood the Lotus-Eaters' village in the open grass field. White figures danced around the huts. The women still lusted in their remaining poison.

"I guess we should leave them be," Roger suggested. "There's nothing we could do for them."

Heracles nodded. "When they run out of lotus, their minds will return to their sanity. Whatever choice they will choose on this island, it will be their own fate."

"Hopefully it will be a good fate." Roger feared the women would lose their minds after they finished the last flowers. But if they could recover quickly like Roger, they will survive. "We better avoid their village or else they will force us to eat their drugs."

"I agree." Heracles followed Roger into the jungle close by. The beach shouldn't be far from where Roger remembered. He hoped the Cerberus women were still there, waiting for him.

"Is there a ship near the shore?" Heracles swung his sword through a hanging vine.

Roger bit his lip inside the helmet. “No, we got a flying horse. Your father sent him to help us pick you up.”

Heracles glanced at Roger. “You mean Pegasus?” He smirked. “A fine horse. He served Bellerophon to slay the Chimaera. I never dreamed I would ride on Pegasus in my life.”

“I thought you rode on Pegasus before.”

Heracles laughed. “Where did you hear that nonsense?"

From a kid movie. Roger couldn't think of what else to say. He only shrugged.

"You said, We, correct? Is there someone else with you?"

Roger left his mouth slightly open. Only his breath came out from his lips.

He hadn't told Heracles about Katina, Labda, and Cilla yet. He could only hope their reunion won't turn into a disaster. "Yeeeeeee-yes. Do you remember the Cerberus you beaten in the Underworld?"

"The hell hound who is actually a she-beast?" Heracles laughed. "I pounded her good and dragged her furry ass to King Eurystheus for display. She was a worthy brute, but no beast could match my godly strength!"

"You mean they?"

"They? Whatever! The point is, I still beat them. That proves not even the Underworld can handle me."

Roger shrugged. Show off.

On the beach, Roger spotted Pegasus lying on the sand with his wings folded. But the horse was alone.

Roger beamed his eyes around. "Where are they?"

Heracles scratched his head. "Where's who?"

Roger’s heart rushed.

The beast women said they would stay on the beach to watch the horse. Maybe they grew impatient and left to search for him across the island. What if they got lost or met the Lotus-Eaters? More time will be wasted if Roger has to get them back. Who knows when the Giants will attack Olympus.

"I don't see anyone else here but the horse," said Heracles. "Are you sure you didn't come here alone?"

Before Roger replied, a tall shadow rose behind Heracles. That was the moment Roger thought, oh shit!

"Surprise!" Katina's large furry arms wrapped around Heracles from behind. 

The hero widened his eyes at her. "You!"

Katina raised her upper lip, showing her fangs as she grinned. "Remember us, you bastard?" She squeezed him. "I have been waiting for this for a long time!"

"Let him go, Katina!" Labda shouted into Katina's right ear. Obviously, the intelligent center head wasn't in control. "We have to bring him to Zeus!"

Heracles clenched his teeth. "Is this a trick!?"

"No! They're here to help me!" Roger glared at Katina. "Let him go!"

"But he murdered our queen!" Katina exclaimed. "Just let me crack his back!"

"What queen!?" Heracles shouted.

Katina growled into his left ear. "Queen Hippolyta, you bastard! You stabbed her and stole her belt. And your friend kidnapped Antiope. Does that ring through your ears now?"

Heracles kneeled as his arms bulged. He groaned through his teeth. "She… Attacked… Me!"

"And that gave you the right to kill her?"

"What else was I supposed to do? Your queen wanted my blood!"

"Explain," said Labda.

Heracles’s face turned red. "Release me, and I will talk!"

Roger placed his hand on the beast women’s arm. "Do it, please."

Katina glared at him for a moment, until she sighed. She dropped Heracles and stepped back.

The hero landed on his knees and caught his breath. "I never intended to kill the Amazon queen. Theseus and I only planned to take her belt peacefully by negotiating with her. When I entered her quarters to start the meeting, she accused me of kidnapping her sister. I knew then Theseus betrayed me for Antiope's lust. He ruined everything and escaped before I could punish him."

He glanced up at the women. "Queen Hippolyta attacked me in rage. I tried to explain, but she has murder in her eyes. I only defended myself because it was my right. She would be alive if she didn’t threaten me."

A tear ran down Katina's left cheek. "So you killed her without a choice?"

Heracles frowned at the ground. "When she charged, she crashed into her sword rack. All her blades pierced her on the floor. Her rage killed her."

"Liar!" Katina shouted, tightening her fists.

"Queen Hippolyta is kind and brave," Cilla explained. "SHe wouldn’t die like a monster! How can we trust you!?"

Heracles grimaced. "You can ask my father if you take me to Olympus. He knows everything."

Katina wiped her tears off her face and snarled in frustration. "Just be lucky we can't kill you. But don't hold your breath yet. We still hate you!"

"Fair enough."

Roger sighed.

He should have known Katina wouldn't cooperate when she got the chance to attack Heracles. If she murdered him, even if it was an accident, Zeus will smite her from the sky.

The hero strolled toward the winged horse. "So this is Pegasus." He smirked. "A fine horse indeed."

The horse rose and shook his wings. He glanced at Heracles for his attention.

The strong man padded the horse's head. "I wished my father had sent him to my aid during my labors. My journey would have ended sooner."

"Sorry, but we don't have time to admire the horse," said Roger. "Zeus is still waiting for us."

Heracles nodded to him. "Right."