Maybe One Day

Prompt: This tells the story of the unrequited love between y/n and Spencer. She has always loved him, but will he ever love her back?

Sitting in the conference room with papers spread across the desk you are examining an old file that you feel could use a little more insight. You peer up from the papers and catch a glimpse of Spencer sitting at his desk wearing his maroon coloured shirt that you loved so much. He was deep in thought, you could see the small wrinkles form on his forehead, the way he tapped his pen when he was thinking, his mind fascinated you. You wished that you could spend every moment just taking him in, learning from him, spending time with him... but alas he was just out of reach.

About a year ago nearing the beginning of your position at the BAU, you casually asked Spencer for coffee, which he politely turned down stating he drinks enough at work and should probably begin to cut back. You smiled and nodded at him, but you felt your stomach twisting into knots. Another time you asked him to breakfast after a case, to which he agreed, however he invited the rest of the team along.

You wanted to get over Spencer, and tried everything to do so, but working with him all day every day, and some nights, tends to pose quite the dilemma when all the blogs and articles say avoid contact. That is why you ended up here in the conference room, papers across the table instead of your desk. You couldn't avoid him but you could distance yourself from him.

A small knock came on the door pulling you out from your thoughts.
"Derek mentioned you may need a bit of help with this case" Spencer said stepping into the room

"Oh..." you paused, debating if you wanted to let him in or ask him to leave "I think I have a handle on it, but another set of eyes and a brain like yours could help" gathering a few papers together you set them down next to you, leaving a chair in between you and him.

"I am sure you're quite capable of handling this case yourself but Derek insisted I come up" Spencer smiled sifting through the papers in front of him

"Insisted?" You question looking at him

"Yes, something about you needed my help on the case, or needing to speak with me" He looked at you confused, as if you should have known what he was talking about

"Oh okay, well I didn't ask for help, but I am glad to have it, and I don't need to talk to you about anything... At least I don't think I do" you laugh

Lie, yeah that was a lie. You wanted to talk to him about everything, about how everyday he made your heart leap out of your chest, how every time you looked at him everything around you disappeared, how you knew he did not feel the same way you did, but nothing could make that feeling go away.

You and Spencer spent the next hour quietly going over the cold case until you seen Derek walking across the BAU

"Excuse me for a moment." You state standing up and walking briskly down to meet Derek

"What were you thinking, that you could just stick us in a room together and tell him I needed to talk to him and we would magically be together? Derek things don't work like that and you know it" You speak in a whisper pushing Derek away from everyone into a small corner in the BAU.

"Y/n you told me months ago that you like Spencer, I just thought you needed a push because you are not doing anything about it" he says holding your shoulders

"I'm not doing anything because he doesn't feel the same way"

"And how do you know that?" Derek asks tilting his head

"Because there are certain things people do when they like another person, and Spencer... well he does none of those with me, I just know. I told you as my friend, I didn't ask you to become involved in my love life... or lack thereof. Okay?" You state rather firmly to get your point across, while you appreciated Derek, you could not deal with the rejection of Spencer not while you worked beside him every day