Chapter 3

Chapter Three:

Two days had gone by and school was finally finished for the week. Most Saturdays I would sit around with the guys and play video games or go out for some coffee but Louis and Niall were still sick and Liam had got the date that he wanted so I was on my own. I had decided since it wasn’t too cold out that I would go to my favorite resting spot and read one of my books. I had a bookshelf full of different books but I had to say that poems were my favorite thing to read. I loved the emotion that I could feel just from reading one tiny piece of literature and it helped me stay at peace. I always read at least one poem a day to help myself feel good. I grabbed a few books off of my shelf and threw them into my drawstring backpack before putting on my pea coat and heading out the front door. My parents were visiting my sister at college for the weekend so I didn’t have to worry about telling them where I was going. My mom had left me her car but I would rather walk since the park wasn’t too far from my house. If it was possible I would walk everywhere. I didn’t really like cars much because why be cooped up in a vehicle when you could breathe the fresh air and enjoy the nature that was all around you? Most people didn’t share my opinion when it came to things like that but I guess that was just another thing that made me unique. A few minutes of walking and I had made it to my bench. It wasn’t really my bench but I liked to think of it that way. I always thought of the best things there and being there never failed to relax me. I opened my back pack and grabbed one of my books out.

I flipped it open to a random page and started reading out loud,

“When I go up through the mowing field,

The headless aftermath,

Smooth-laid like thatch with the heavy dew,

Half closes the garden path.

And when I come to the garden ground,

The whir of sober birds,

Up from the tangle of withered weeds,

Is sadder than any words.

A tree beside the wall stands bare,

But a leaf that lingered brown,

Disturbed, I doubt not, by my thought,

Comes softly rattling down.

I end not far from my going forth,

By picking the faded blue,

Of the last remaining aster flower,

To carry again to you.”

I smiled at the writing composed by Robert Frost. All of his poems were so wonderful and he was definitely one of my favorite poets. I began flipping the page to find another poem when I heard a loud noise coming from behind me. I turned around to see five teenage boys who looked like they were about to fight some unfortunate soul that they were surrounding. I was just going to turn back around when I noticed that the unfortunate boy was Zayn. I didn’t recognize any of the other boys so I figured that they must have been from a different school. I could tell that they were about the same age as me but they were obviously much more dangerous. One was way larger than Zayn and seemed a little psychotic to me. He was the one doing most of the yelling and honestly he scared me a bit. I didn’t want to attract any attention to myself so I crouched down behind the bench so they couldn’t see me. Their yelling had gotten louder and I could almost hear them all clearly.

“Listen Malik! We told you before to stay the fuck away from our territory!” This big boy must have been the leader of his group because all of the other boys just nodded in agreement with him. Zayn stood there emotionless while the others had their fists up and were in a fighting stance.