18

Josie cringed as she puts the spit-covered leaves into two crystal phials and rereads the steps to make sure she hadn't missed anything.

Add a silver teaspoon of dew from a place where neither sunlight nor human feet have touched for a full seven days.

Hagrid had agreed to help with that and took them into some deserted spot in the Forbidden Forest. Fortunately, he didn't mind them being secretive about what it was for and simply warned them to be careful.

And if that wasn't hard enough, you then have to add 'the chrysalis of a Death's-head Hawk Moth' to the crystal phial as well. Thank Merlin they had James' invisibility cloak to pull off a heist to raid the potions storage room. 

While waiting for the storm, it says you must place your wand tip over your heart every sunrise and sundown and speak the following incantation: 'Amato Animo Animato Animagus'. If you keep repeating your incantation, 'there will come a time when, with the touch of the wand-tip to the chest, a second heartbeat may be sensed.' Don't change anything! Keep going. Keep waiting for that storm!

"It's not too late to admit this is more hassle than it's worth," Remus calls from his bed, not looking up from his book. If he had, he would've seen three glares aimed his way from his fiercely loyal friends. 

They found out that the next electrical storm wasn't for another three weeks, and even that wasn't definite. So they had no choice but to wait.

"Read it one more time?"

Josie takes a nervous breath, terrified that her two friends would hurt themselves during the most dangerous step.

As soon as lightning appears in the sky, go to the place where you've hidden your crystal phial. At last! If you've done everything right then you will 'discover a mouthful of blood-red potion inside it. Place your wand tip against your heart and speak the incantation 'Amato Animo Animato Animagus' and drink the potion. You will then feel fiery pain and an intense double heartbeat. The shape of the creature into which you will shortly transform will appear in your mind. 

The instructions then warn: 'You must show no fear. It is too late now, to escape the change you have willed'.

"No need to be so dramatic," James says, rolling his eyes. Immediately getting shushed by Josie and Remus.

To return to human form, visualise your human self as clearly as you can. Don't worry if you don't change back immediately, with practice, you will be able to slip in and out of your animal form at will, simply by visualising the creature.

Josie crossed her fingers in hope that the electrical storm would happen in a few hours and that the next steps happen smoothly. Sirius senses her nervousness and squeezes her hand reassuringly. The marauders all force themselves to engage in conversation despite their anxiety until they see a flash outside the boys' dorm window. The three boys turn to Josie with wide eyes and she grins and runs to retrieve the potion. They follow the steps carefully: reciting the incantation and downing the red potion.

The other two marauders laugh as they gag at the taste of the potion, knowing the ingredients that went into it, she didn't blame them. She leans closer to Remus and whispers to ask if he can take care of James for the next part and she will do the same for Sirius. He, of course, agrees.

Not long passes before the two boys were in pain and it was Josie's turn to take care of Sirius during this difficult part of the process. She made sure he was comfortable and pressed a slightly shaky hand to his chest to feel for the double heartbeat.