10

It was a heartbreaking sight to see. A naked young boy lay on the cold wood floor, barely conscious, badly injured and freezing. A young girl sobs uncontrollably next to him, her dark blue hair falling in front of her face as she attempts to overcome her shock and help her friend. 

"Remus?" Josie finally manages to whisper out, she adjusts his position to let him sit up against the wall and wraps her coat around him.

A few minutes go by until Remus is conscious enough to notice the unexpected company. The panic and confusion on his face was evident.

"Josie," he rasps out, "what- how? no"

Josie shushes him, understanding that he must be terrified and that wasn't the best thing for him right now.

"Please let me take you to the hospital wing, then we can talk,"

Remus, who had started to also cry, nods slowly. She helps him walk they made their way back to the Hogwarts building.

Madam Pomfrey wordlessly healed Remus the best she could and left the two students in peace.

"You don't look very scared," he observes, his tone quiet and anxious.

"I'm not," she replies simply, his expression showed uncertainty with a hint of anger which confused Josie greatly.

"Do you know how much the wizarding world despises werewolves? I'm a monster-"

Josie sees a look of realisation and horror wash over him, 

"I could've killed you. If I had managed to see or smell you nearby- I could've killed you. I'm so sorry Josie," his voice breaks at the end.

She embraces him in a careful hug, avoiding his injuries. This boy was the kindest, sweetest person she had ever met; she couldn't believe he had been cursed with such pain.

"If you don't want to be friends anymore-or want me to leave Hogwarts I understand," he starts to ramble.

"Remus shut up," she chuckles, "I'm not going to tell anyone nor am I gonna think of you any different."

"Really?" he asks,  his tone doubtful. His reaction morphs into confusion when Josie starts laughing.

"Remmy, I don't think I could ever be scared of a nerdy boy who reads romance novels and folds his socks, even if he is a werewolf."

"Fair enough," he laughs, trying to decide if he's relieved or mildly offended, "so you're not gonna tell James and Sirius?"

"No, but when you're ready to, I think you should. I can't imagine either of them being anything less than supportive and understanding," Josie advises. 

After a while, Madam Pomfrey ends up ordering the young girl to leave so Remus can rest.

"You don't think they'll figure it out?"

There's a moment of silence as the two friends just look at each other before they simultaneously burst out laughing. 

Sirius and James were in detention after another potions incident, leaving Josie and Remus some time to talk in the boys' dorm.

"Okay," Josie says, "I think one of them might realise eventually... Let's say around the middle of our second year."

Remus snorts, "You're over-estimating them, I'd say third year."

"Wanna bet?"

"Depends... what's on the line?" Remus asks suspiciously, she thinks for a moment.

"If I win, you have to ask out Filch," she smirks.

Remus gasps in horror, "No chance." Josie rolls her eyes,

"Fine. You have to wear a dress for a full day, AND you can't stay in your room, AND I get to choose the dress."

She grins at his pained expression, 

"You're a psychopath," he laughs, "but if I win, you have to morph your appearance to whatever I want for a whole day. I'm talking pig nose and no eyebrows."

It was Josie's turn to gasp in horror, picturing her eating lunch in the main hall with a pig nose. However, she was never one to chicken out of a hilariously humiliating bet, even though in the past they had only been with her brother. 

"Lils, are you alright?" Josie asks. She, Lily, Mary and Alice were sitting in the library when Josie noticed her friend looked quite depressed.

"Oh, I'm fine. Just a letter from my family- well most of them," Lily sighs, folding up the piece of paper in her hands.

"Petunia still not talking to you?" she questions sympathetically,

"Who's Petunia?" Mary asks, 

"My older sister," Lily replies, "she hasn't wanted anything to do with me ever since my family found out I was a witch."

The three girls try to comfort the girl the best they can, but Josie decides that distracting her is probably the best option.

"Lily, I know you're not too fond of James but your birthdays are two days apart and Christmas is basically already here..."

"What are you saying, Jo?" Lily questions suspiciously,

"How about a little birthday party?" Josie suggests cautiously, "It'll be fun and a great way to get to know people."

Lily chuckles at her three friends' hopeful expressions, "I'll think about it."

The girls engulf her in a hug, and she rolls her eyes, knowing that they will take her answer as a yes.