Chapter 4

The day went on as normal after that morning's little orientation. It didn't take too long until Tine had completely forgotten Thyme Chivaaree's presence and was now completely in his element, mixing up drinks and manning the register and all-in-all just being a good cafe employee. It was an hour before closing time when everything went downhill.

"Oh, Tine. Before I forget, Mr. Chivaaree said he wants to look at the guest list from the masquerade party."

Type's voice was nonchalant, a stark contrast to Tine who suddenly dropped a plate at the mere mention of the night-that-must-not-be-named.

"Careful! If you break that, I'm docking it off your pay." Type sing-songed, but Tine knew that he was serious.

"Sorry, sorry! Uh, slippery fingers, just got done with washing. Anyway, you were saying, Type?"

"I said Mr. Chivaaree is asking for the guest list from his welcome party. You remember? We were all wearing masks?"

Tine remembered so clearly. He wished he couldn't, but he did. "Uhm, yeah sure I can get it for him. Any particular reason why he's asking?" Tine asked, trying to keep a neutral face. He doesn't want to jump to conclusions, but he doesn't want to overthink either.

Type frowned. "No idea, really. I think I heard him mention he's looking for someone? But no idea who. Who does he expect to find, that guest list is cafe staff plus less than fifty people..."

As Type droned on in the background, Tine's stomach plummeted.

As much as Tine was averse to the idea of giving his boss the guest list, he really didn't have much choice in the matter

As much as Tine was averse to the idea of giving his boss the guest list, he really didn't have much choice in the matter. Besides, he comforted himself with the notion that it was highly unlikely that it was him that Thyme was looking for. A man like Thyme would surely understand how one-night-stands work and what waking up to an empty bed means.

It means that the partner doesn't want anything more and it's best to leave them alone.

Thyme was still busy on his phone when Tine approached. The former's brow was furrowed, as if in deep concentration while a half-finished cup of coffee sat beside him. Tine cleared his throat.

"Ahem, Mr. Chivaaree?" Tine called, "here's the guest list you're looking for."

Thyme took the folder from him wordlessly and flipped through the pages. "Quite a few people. Are these all the attendees?" Tine nodded his head in assent.

"This won't do," Thyme muttered under his breath, "Tine?"

Tine jolted at the mention of his name. This was the first time that Thyme Chivaaree addressed him. "Uh, yes sir?"

"Do you know all of these guests?"

"Well, they're mostly regulars so I know almost all. The rest of them, I can identify by face?"