Chapter 15

First Puitrakul. Aged twenty-five. Finished culinary school and now runs their family bakery.

Admittedly, the meeting with First was suggested by Thyme on impulse. He had lashed out. Thyme was not a kind person by default and his first instinct was to hurt the person who hurt him. And Tine had hurt him.

If this had blown up earlier, Thyme feels that he could have been more understanding about the whole thing. He understood self-preservation, after all, and the impulse to hide from your boss who you accidentally had a night with was self-preservation. What he cannot wrap his mind around was the fact that Tine kept up the ruse.

In the weeks that they spent together, Tine had every opportunity to come clean, yet he did not, despite their steadily growing bond. They had shared a drunken kiss, one that they both remember and acknowledge. Had Thyme not proven himself there that he had enough maturity to not push Tine away? What were they, anyway? Were they lovers? Thyme thinks it's a bit premature to call them that and he knew that Tine would agree. What he knew, though, was that Tine was special. All along, Thyme thought that it was the boy that he slept with that would be the key to numbing the unrequited love that haunted him for years. That it was the joining of flesh in a physically intimate act that would allow him to forget. But Tine only needed to hold his hand and pull him close and whisper words of assurance in his ear: I'm here, you can cry, it's okay, I'm here.

Thyme did not forget, yes. But the edge had dulled and dulled under Tine's care, until Thyme realized it didn't cut him anymore. And perhaps it was why he was doubly hurt when the next blow that his heart took came from Tine, himself.

The trip to the bakery to meet First was an uneasy sort of calm, one that lacked the comfortable silence that they had grown used to. The two of them kept their gazes steadily outside the window. Both, in the deepest recesses of their hearts, wanted to reach to the other and hold them close, but pride and hurt and guilt had mounted too high of a wall.

Thyme heard a faint sniffling sound beside him as he, himself, discreetly wiped off tears.

   Tine understood what this was

Tine understood what this was. He knew that Thyme was simply doing this out of spite. It was obvious in the way that they interacted that Thyme held nothing more than feigned attentiveness in what First has to say. But that knowledge does Tine no good as he watched Thyme pick up First's hand from the table and play with his fingers the same way he did with Tine just yesterday.

"You have calluses," Tine heard Thyme say from a few meters away. Thyme and First were seated in one of the two booths in the bakery while Tine sat at a bench, just within earshot. They were positioned such that First's back was facing Tine and Thyme was in front of him, making both Tine and First visible in his field of vision. Tine had wanted to leave after introducing the two of them, but Thyme insisted that he stayed.