4-take time to rest

This step would be easy, or should be in retrospect. Sitting down on the couch, or laying in bed and takes a cat nap or just resting should be easy.

Surprisingly though it's not.

When I looked over that crumbled, wrinkled piece of paper and saw take time to rest I figured it'd be the easiest task yet. Then assignment after assignment was given out at school as well as the strain of up coming tests, chores at home and everything else piled up. The weight of all the tasks I needed to complete bogged up my mind, and I realized that this wasn't going to be easy.

So I wrote up a list of things I had to do, and categorized; I also planned on how I'd get it all done with time to rest.

First was to do as much homework in class or study hall as humanly possible as well as doing it at lunch. Even with my desperate attempts to finish it all I still ended up with loads of homework.

Standing at my locker after class I bite my lip trying to decide how I was going to fit everything into my bag as well as get it all done in one night. As I ponder this I spot a note on the top shelf of my locker. I pluck it open then begin unfolding the lined notebook paper.

"Take the night off, homework can wait.
Your mental health is more important."

- a.m.

I look at the smudged ink for a moment then decide he's right. Sticking the note in my jean pocket, I then shut my locker and head out of the school without any homework as he was right; my mental health is more important.

Once at home I blow through my chores, and even though they weren't done well they were still done well. Since they were done I was able to retreat to my room to rest and take my night off which I was more than glad to take.

I changed into a loose shirt and sweatpants before grabbing my laptop. I plop down onto my bed and open up my laptop. I quickly insert a dvd into the slot then wait for it to load up. I rest the laptop next to me then set it next to me.

As the movie begins I'm immediately immersed in my wretched thoughts of homework and what would happen if I didn't get it done. Soon I feel guilt rising and it seems resting, although I'm almost there, will be impossible.

Sighing, I push my laptop back a bit, and try to redirect my thoughts with everything the mysterious a.m. had told me.

Stay positive, block out negative thoughts.

I can do this.

Slowly I begin to unwind, blocking out the bad thoughts of what may happen, and focusing on the ideal thoughts of relaxing.

Laying my head on a pillow I feel less tense and more happy as I hit play on the movie. I smile at the fact I was watching a movie on a tiny laptop but also don't mind as although silly it did its job. My eyes begin to droop as the movie continues but I don't fight it as part of resting wasn't just relaxing.

As I fall I asleep, I thank him for everything he's already done and everything that he will do in the future.