11. establish reliable relationships

Friendships, I've learned, are similar to flowers. They require constant up keep or they'll wilt and die off, and sometimes won't come back no matter how much you try to bring them back; it's simply too late. That's how we lost Max, he didn't care to keep up.

They also can be something to be proud of just like flowers. Friendships can be something you want to gloat about to everyone and say, "you see that coffee haired boy that was just indescribably polite? He's my best friend".

I've also come to the conclusion that they can be hideous things unlike flowers. Well maybe like flowers to people who have allergies aggravated by them. Friendships can be the worst things because the other person may be known as a delinquent or someone you don't want to associate yourself with in the daylight, but behind closed doors love being around for their rebellious ways. Luckily I'd come across a group of people that I could associate myself with and not be ashamed by.

A group of boys, all odd or childish in their own ways but still perfect in my eyes despite the flaws they might have to others.

Among that group was someone I'd referred to as "him" for an absurd amount of time; a boy I'd befriended because of his connection to Eddie and his willingness to help Eddies pathetic girlfriend cope with his passing.

Aleksandr Vitalyevich Marchant

That was his name; not "him" or a.m., Aleks.

Him and his companions had become my friends, or at least I considered them that as we were fairly close. Maybe we weren't friends and I just believed we were, it wouldn't surprise me I'm oblivious to obvious sometimes.

But I kept thinking positive because that's what he instructed me to do.

.

.
The day he clarified it was a spectacular day; it was like a breath of fresh air and the weight of the world being hoisted off my shoulders. We were all at James' house sprawled over couches and the floor with Mario Party on the tv.

Seamus, Jordan, and James were all in an intense match match of Mario Party while Aleks and I were talked about anything and everything.

"What the fuck?", Seamus yelled earning a glare from Jordan. I had simply laughed at his outburst while he tried to regain his place after being hit by a green shell.

"Watch your language!", Jordan scolded. He was always like a father to the group, scolding use for word usage, and making sure we never got into too much trouble.

"Shut the hell up Jordan!", Seamus retaliated, a prideful smirk on his lips. Jordan brushed it off continuing to focus on the game just as James was.

"They're such children.", Aleks said.

"Of course, what do you expect from a group of teenage guys?", Aleks had clutched his heart in mocking look of shock at my statement.

"Ouch."

"Oh hush."

"No, not even my best friend can make me hush.", Aleks teased. At this point I'm positive the look on my face was one of shock.

"Best friend?", I'd asked clueless as to if Aleks was joking. I prayed he wasn't though because it'd be a major blow I wasn't sure if I could handle.

"Yeah best friend, I haven't been this close to someone in ages.", Aleks chuckled wrapping a tight arm around my shoulders. It felt like I was suffocating under his arm, not because of the weight but because of his word.

He was referring to Eddie.

As much as I didn't want it to bother me, it still did. It nagged at me, and knocked all the break straight out of my lungs.

I don't want to replace Eddie

"Well I'm glad I can be your friend.", I had said softly.

"Don't get all sentimental on me Jasey", Aleks said pausing for a moment before continuing, "it's gonna be okay by the way."

"What?"

"You know what I mean. Now come on best friend let's ditch these losers and get something to drink.", Aleks said pulling me off the ground to my feet. I couldn't help but grin at how childish his use of "best friend" sounded. I really was glad he's said it though because it meant I had made friends that I knew where reliable; I'd made it a little closer to being okay.