Crossing the Road

When I woke up, I realized that I had slept the rest of the day and all night. I set out again, expecting a long day of traveling, but the river had carried my a long way. I soon came to the tall white gate marking the edge of the farm and slipped under it. A big black surface stretched in front of me. A road. Across the road, I saw a meadow. Other birds soared through the air, sweeping through the long grass. They dove at insects roaming the grass, munching hungrily. The meadow looked like fun, but I didn't think I'd be welcome there. After all, I couldn't fly and I didn't eat bugs. I turned to start walking down the road when I was interrupted by a hissing noise. I spun around and stared into a big yellow eye. The snake reared back, its forked tongue flicking in and out of its mouth. For a moment a just stared in horror. Then, all thoughts of being welcomed forgotten, I raced across the road. Halfway through, I was forced to stop, skidding a few centimeters after my wild dash. A red car flashed by, followed by a white then a blue one. I looked over my shoulder. The snake was slithering slowly across the black stone. I gulped. Checking to make sure there were no more cars, I ran the rest of the way to the meadow, using my wings to propel me. I dove into the long grasses. I walked through them, feeling blind because they were over my head. I stumbled into a clearing..... and bumped right into a giant raven.