Hunting

The snake was maintaining a regular distance from me. All of a sudden, it reared back and lunged at me at top speed. With a terrified squawk, I shot away at top speed. The snake's jaws snapped closed where I had been a second ago, catching a tail feather on one of its venomous fangs. It hissed, angry. Its forked tongue flicked in and out of its mouth. It reared back to strike again!
CREE! CREE!
A giant golden hawk was circling above us. That's not Alysse.... I thought.
"Oh, snap," Madlynne said.
"Dad! What are you doing out here?" Alysse asked, hiding me from his view.
Seriously? If I'm playing live bait I don't want to be forgotten. The snake turned his focus from the cry of the Great Hawk back to me.
"GUYYYYYYYYYYS!!!!!" I shouted as he lunged again. I darted to the side just in time. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Madlynne snap her head back to look at me.
"Alysse, the snake!" she called. The snake was really angry now. Its eyes were tiny yellow slits as it glared at me.
Before I had time to react, the snake jumped out at me. It hadn't done that preparatory rear this time, so it wasn't as fast, but it held the element of surprise. I didn't have time to dodge, and the fangs would kill me in seconds. I knew what I had to do. I dove forward into the snake's open mouth.