Chapter 20: Slow Dance

I woke up earlier than I was supposed to be and couldn't go back to sleep so I decided to go out of my room and maybe make breakfast for myself instead.

When as I was still marching my way inside the kitchen, my eyes caught my Mom silently leaning on the counter, sipping a cup of coffee.

"Good morning, Mom!" I greeted her cheerfully.

She quickly turned around and brightly smiled as soon as she saw me walking closer. "Oh, I'm surprised, you're awake early, hon."

I softly chuckle. "I couldn't go back to sleep."

"Oh, is that so?" She giggled. "Want some coffee?"

I nodded in chipper, "Yes, please~!" I cheerfully hopped on the kitchen counter and took a seat there. I watched her intently as she makes wonders.

She started pouring the freshly brewed coffee into my cup, "Do you know what they say about coffee, hon?"

I looked at her smiling face. "No. What is it?"

"Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and sweet as love." She stated.

That made me laugh.

She really knows her way in the kitchen. May it be just a small appetizer menu or a whole buffet. She knows it all.

She's the best.

But if someone would ask me what's her best work? It's her coffee.

She makes the most amazing coffee I have ever tasted. Just like she said, it's black and strong. People who might not know my Mom and saw her making this kind of cup might think that this would taste bitter but no. This coffee will do wonders for your mood, it tastes sweet.

And just the right amount of its treacliness.

It's a masterpiece.

She slowly hand me the cup. "Thanks, Mom."

She leaned on the counter stove, opposite to where I'm seated. Like a switch, we remained silent, fixedly drinking our respective cup, relishing this moment of glory.

All of a sudden, she broke the silence. "So, how have you been?"

She started to look serious, a curious sensation overwhelmed her. I took one last sip from my cup before putting it down to face her attentively.

"Taehyung and I," I exhaled.

"-are together again," I declared. There's no point in keeping it hidden, anyway.

Her smile instantly faded. "Oh,"

"Uh, does Jung-hoon know about this?" She asked.

I unconsciously avoided her eyes. "I-uh"

She let out a depressing sigh after noticing my agitated reaction. "Ji, hon" She called. "It's not that I'm against it. But aren't you both trying too hard?"

My eyes went back to her, "What are you trying to say, Mom?"

"You and Taehyung were too young back then. What you both have been through, isn't that enough to stop all this-"

"No, Mom. It's not enough." I firmly stated. "You may be right, the past was tough,"

"But that's why it all happened, right? For us to be stronger."

"But hon, the past has tainted the present moment you know," She reached for my hand and clasped it tight. "I don't want you to overdid it. You've suffered enough."

"You guys might love each other a lot but Jung-hoon-" She couldn't finish her words.

Well, it doesn't' need to be spell it out because we all know.