Prologue

One year ago

Everything that could have been, became everything that wasn't. Most of Adelaide's life played out like that. She often grew up wondering what she could've had in life.

In an alternate universe, maybe she had everything she's ever wanted. She wasn't ungrateful and she didn't hate the life her aunt had so willingly given her, but she had opinions.

Opinions she would take to the grave.

Eda Kaan crossed one leg over the other as she skimmed through the precisely typed up words on sheets of paper. Yep, Adelaide gave the snarky middle-aged woman not one but multiple pieces of paper to read through. Her finger tapped every two beats on the arm of the couch. Condescending—wicked, some would say. But Adelaide knew her aunt was nothing but a grumpy woman with a whole lot of soft and round edges.

However, in that very moment, she wished she had the ability to disappear in front of the so-called grump known as her beloved aunt.

Eda released a heavy breath and set the papers down on her lap. She raised her eyes at Adelaide through her circular reading glasses. "My answer is no."

"Auntie," Adelaide almost pouts at her aunt. But one stern look and all that spontaneous, hard worked courage disappeared.

"I appreciate you speaking up for yourself," she began with a tilt of her lips. If the two of them were sitting at the dinner table right now, she'd be laughing at Adelaide—Probably mocking her to the point where she'd want to hide from the world forever.

That's not where they were though.

This was business and Eda never allowed emotions cloud her professional judgement, even if it involved family—especially if it involved them. "But the answer is no. I know you have dreams and goals of your own, Addie. I know how tough this is. Giving up your aspirations and goals for a life you don't want is terrible, but you have to understand that I don't have a choice."

"You've been my second hand for a while now. You know the way the system works and on top of that, you're a powerful woman. You are more than capable to take my position as CEO of Starlight." Eda stood by her decision, her back straight as a stick and her eyes sharp as a knife. She was a woman of diligence and honour, oh and definitely pride. There was nothing calm or sincere about Eda, other than her willingness to fight.

Despite the tone and her stiffness, Adelaide focused on her aunt's silky bob. She genuinely wondered what kind of products her aunt used on her hair. It was a great distraction, especially from the lasers shooting straight at her.

The silence weighed heavy on her shoulders. Much more than the weight of Eda's glare. Perspiration trickled down Adelaide's back, thankfully away from her eyes.

If Eda caught even a beam of sweat, she'd give Adelaide a lecture on wellness, self-care, and hygiene. That was the kind of person Eda Kaan was.

Adelaide took a deep, inaudible breath out.
"I'm not saying I'm not capable, I'm saying I'm too young. The board already hates that I'm always there helping you and giving you ideas–"

"Ideas that are ahead of our time," she snapped with a frustrated face. Adelaide didn't say anything, she wasn't sure if she was even breathing.

"Adelaide, I need... I need a break." Eda looks down, almost ashamed of the admission. That's when her niece took the wrinkles in, her dark undereyes, and need of survival in her gaze.

In any other occasion, Adelaide wouldn't agree. In her mind, she was fighting this off with her unfiltered tongue and unexpected words.

But Adelaide's world didn't revolve around her mind, her heart was always in control.

Even if Eda asked a lot of her since she was a little girl, she was still her mother's best friend—the woman that took care of her when everything crumbled down.

Her mother once told young Addie, "We sacrifice everything for the ones we love. Do you know why?" When Adelaide shook her tiny little head, her mother continued with a soft smile. "Love is defined to be sacrificed, but I think it's sacrifice that defines love."

These days, the memories of her parents were fading away.

Adelaide gave in with a retired slump of her shoulders, "Okay." Just like she knew she would.

As usual, Adelaide Mikael succumbed to her aunt's games.

Eda discarded the piles of paper by handing them back to Adelaide.

She wondered if Eda could see the shake in her hands, the tremble in her smile, or the twitch in her eyes.

"I knew you'd understand. You always do." Eda smiled her perfect smile and brushed Adelaide away by grabbing her phone.

She typed away.

Work, work, work.

It was always about working with her.

And it was always her way.

It was like she didn't understand that Adelaide was human and she felt so much more than what she showed.

When was the last time I saw Eda really smile? was the last thought Adelaide had before her aunt disappeared from the face of the earth.

***

Author's Note [October 21, 2022]:

I'm SCREAMING in every language right now 😭

Thoughts on Adelaide?
Eda? The ending? 😏

phew, you're all in for one heck of a ride.

xx Izza