V: Bloodshed of Old Wounds

Now | Christian

After Osama left, I finished making the kabobs before the restaurant opened. All the workers came on time, which I always appreciated. I had the money to spare and I loved giving them bonuses when it was well deserved. 

Eomma would say that I give out money for free because I don't understand the value of it. 

I would never get to tell her how I only gave out money to those who needed it because my dad did and I wanted to exceed how much he used to. I didn't have positive intentions. My father would rot in his grave while I took over his name. Everyone would eventually forget what a good man my father was because I would be better. 

Tables were packed with singles, couples, and families. Today was Thursday and the special was Chicken Achari. It was a spicy Pakistani dish that I enjoyed with a glass of Soju once in a while. 

Tonight was a whiskey kind of night. 

It was 9:55 and most people had already left. The only one in Moonshine was Kanat Rahoof, one of my oldest employees–but also one of the most annoying ones too. He didn't work in the restaurant, thankfully. He worked at the main branch where Osama was named as CFO. 

"Johar Akbar wants to step out of the campaign." His sweaty bald head was shining underneath the golden hue of lights.

We sat at the bar, right in front of the clock. Two minutes to ten. 

"This seems like something you need to talk to Mr. Taimoor about." I poured myself a glass of whiskey and swirled it around. The amber liquid taunted me. If she arrives while he's here and he gets a look at her before I do, I'll gladly rip his eyeballs out and make kimchi out of it. 

"Everyone knows you're the one in charge and Mr. Taimoor is your puppet."

I shook my head, "You're mistaken. He's the one in charge. Sure, I oversee what he does but I don't control it. If there's an issue with Moonshine that's not related to this restaurant, you go to him."

"Mr. Hayes–"

"Enough." I put the glass down more roughly than I needed to. "I'll do you one favour and make sure you're able to meet with Mr. Taimoor first thing tomorrow morning. Other than that," I got up and buttoned my suit. I went overboard with the outfit but the more intimidating I looked, it would be easier to get to Adelaide. "Good night." 

Mr. Rahoof was physically shaking. He was looking up at me and although he was old, he wasn't wise. He took his cue with a nod. When he left, my eyes found their way back to the clock. 10:05. I was known to be a patient man, but tardiness left me feeling itchy.

Osama would say I'm nervous, which was why I couldn't stop looking at the time. I wouldn't agree. There is nothing nerve wracking about seeing the girl whose aunt ruined my family. There was nothing but burning, acidic, reeling hatred and disgust.

The quicker I saw her, the quicker I'd be able to see the powerless look on her face.  

I poured another glass of whiskey into the glass. I would drink myself sick before she had the chance to with her intoxicating presence.

Eomma once described Adelaide to me the first time she met her. I remembered it to this day. Adelaide is the kind of star that only shines for one person. The world doesn't deserve her hidden light. Can you promise to be the person that shines on her?

I was a twelve year old kid back then and after Eomma was finally up on her feet again, I promised everything possible. 

Back then, I didn't know those promises would've cost me everything.