II: Mistakes From a Past Lover

Now | Adelaide

I hated him and myself for saying his name when I could've picked anyone else.

I looked over at Hasan.

I wish I said his name instead.

Watson stood there in complete shock. "You're lying. No one has ever seen you date in the past year and now all of a sudden, you're getting married to the richest and most powerful man in the world?"

The absurdity in his voice made me smile.

Hasan laughed. "I had no idea you were so interested in her private life, Watson."

"It's called being aware." The man found none of this amusing.

I made a stupid mistake but the look on his dumb face was all worth it... I think.

I did possibly jeopardize every single thing Eda worked for, but if she was here, a part of her would have understood why I did what I did.

Pride mattered to her more than mistakes did. If you ever made a mistake and you felt guilty about it, there'd be consequences. But if you made a mistake and felt prideful about it because you don't regret it, Eda would applaud you.

But what would she do if you felt guilty and prideful? 

"Whatever it's called. I told you something that'll help us, that's all." I could hear the smugness in my voice. I'm sure the rest of them could too.

"Congratulations, Ms. Mikael." Harold, Todd, Devon, Lewis, and Cory said one after the other.

"Thank you."

"You keep digging yourself a bigger hole day by day, Ms. Mikael. Eventually, you'll fall into it." Watson stared at me before walking out. Dickhead.

"Have a good day, Watson." I muttered to myself.

Hasan walked over to me, shock glittered in his eyes. "Is it true?"

Hassan's brown hair contrasted beautifully with his brown skin. There were lines on his forehead from all the stress he had to endure. I would bet it's because of his son.

My life would be so much easier if I said his name.

I opened my mouth to come up with something, any kind of excuse would save me from his scrutiny.

"Is what true?"

Umaima barged in with a mouth full of chips.

I grimaced.

She was going to give me so much shit for this.

"You don't know?" Hasan looked more shocked.

"Know what?"

"Apparently, Addie's getting married."

Very slowly, Umaima turned her head to look at me. Her eyes were suspicious. "You're getting married?" Surprise! I had no idea I was getting married until two minutes ago.

"Oh um, yeah." I faked a smile.

Right when I thought she was going to smack me, Umaima smacked Hasan's arm. Hard. And started to laugh. "She would've told us, Hasan. Look at her face, she's totally messing with—Oh!" She swallowed with wide eyes looking down at me. "Tell me you didn't do what I think you did."

"What did she do?" Hasan asked, looking between both of us.

Umaima shook her head in denial. "Girl."

"Not right now, Umaima." I raised a hand to stop her. The last thing I needed was a lecture from my best friend.

I fucked up.