09

Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"I believe in love. I think it just hits you and pulls the rug out from underneath you and, like a baby, demands your attention every minute of the day."-Jodi Picoult

Bella stayed longer then Harriet had anticipated, meaning she had stayed for dinner that Esme and Harriet were making for Paul and Jared. "What's that smell?" Bella questioned, walking in with Edward behind her like a lost puppy.

"Really, Harriet?" He chuckled, locking eyes with the smirking woman. "If anyone is a lost puppy, it's your mates when you're not around."

The smirk on her face widened as she shrugged, "Cute puppies unlike you."

Edward jokingly hissed at her as she turned around. "We're making Fiorentina Steaks with a side of buttered noodles with Tiramisu for dessert." Esme spoke up, looking back to Bella who seemed to be drooling at the mouth with the smell that was circulating the home. "Would you like some before you head out?"

The human happily nodded, her eyes sparkling as she quickly sat down at the table near the kitchen. "I know you guys don't eat, but how do you make sure the food taste well?" Bella questioned, leaning on her arms as she watched the two vampires move around the kitchen. "I always have to taste test my food before I serve it to Charlie."

Harriet chuckled, wiping her hands on the apron that was tired around her waist. "Well, my mates have a tendency to eat whatever is put in front of them so we have all the taste testers we can handle with them."

Bella chuckled, a soft smile on her face as Edward moved to sit beside her. "From what Edward has told me they seem to be a bit of trouble."

Harriet's eyebrow twitched as she looked over her shoulder with a malicious smile. "What all did he tell you about them?" She seethed, snapping the noodle in half. "Because my mates and I agreed not to be public to humans quite yet, at least until we get the others."

Edward raised his hands with a tense smile. "All I said was that they like to eat a lot and that they are always by you."

Harriet waved the noodles, her smile turning warm as she tossed them into the pot of boiling water. "Good. They want to introduce themselves when you settle in better, Bella. So I hope Edward didn't ruin the surprise."

Bella chuckled softly, looking between the two siblings. "You guys act more like siblings then I expected." She admitted, her hand reaching up before playing with her hair. "I really wasn't expecting it to be so homey here."

"As Harriet likes to remind me," Edward started, running a hand through his hair a faking a pout, "I'm her least favorite brother."

"Who's her favorite?"

Emmett suddenly appeared, wrapping an arm around Harriet's neck and bending her down before roughly rubbing his knuckles on the top of her head. "That would be me and Jasper." He grinned, grunting when Harriet slammed her foot against his before shoving her elbow into his stomach and causing him to let go while skidding back.

"Don't mess up my hair." She snapped, quickly reaching up and redoing the bun she had put it in. "Unlike you, I want to look put together when my mates get here." Emmett gave her a playful glare, looking towards Esme before flipping her off. Harriet gasped, covering her mouth. "He just flipped me off!"

"I did not!"

Esme turned towards the two of them, watching with raised eyebrows as they went back and forth while Bella giggled at the two of them and Edward rolled his eyes. "Alright, alright!" The motherly woman called out, waving her hand and gaining their attention. "Emmett go get the games ready while Harriet and I cook. I don't want you in this kitchen again."

Emmett pouted, while Harriet stuck her tongue out at the male before turning away to stir the noodles. Before he walked out though, Emmett reached up and tugged at her hair before disappearing from sight.

Harriet grunted as her head was pulled back, a glare on her face as she set the metal spoon down before racing after her brother. "Are they always like this?" Bella questioned, a smile on her face as she listened to the yelling that echoed through the house.

Edward rubbed his face as he nodded, "Put them and Jasper in a room together and it's like they're children all over again."

"I heard that!" Three voices yelled out, causing another laugh to leave Bella.

· · ──────·本·──────· ·

After a long day of patrol and getting their asses beat by Emmett and Jasper on Call of Duty 2, Paul and Jared were now hugging Harriet close while she read an old French book. Jared was currently asleep on her lap while Paul was reading the book over her shoulder with tired eyes.

"You need to sleep, Mon Loup." Harriet muttered, resting her head on Paul's who had his cheek rested against her shoulder. "You have a lot to do tomorrow."

Paul pouted, his eyes closing. "I don't have that much to do." He muttered, wrapping his arms around her waist and holding himself closer to her. "I want to spend as much time you while I can."

A chuckle left Harriet as she set the book down and wrapped her arms around his shoulders. "You act like I'm just going to disappear." She cooed, running her hand through his hair.

"You could." He sighed, relaxing against her. "I don't know what I would do with out you."

She stayed silent, staring out the large window that exited to a plant covered balcony. The sky was dark and seemed to make the trees around the house larger and much more menacing. She hadn't really thought about what would happen when she had to leave with her family, she didn't want to.

Right now she was in a peaceful little bubble that would only grow when the others phased and joined the loving trio. But she was a vampire, she didn't age and people would start asking questions about it which would cause the family to move as to keep their secret.

Harriet took a deep breath, looking down at the now asleep Paul, and traced his features. She also didn't know what she would do without them. Now that she had them in her life it would be a horrible experience to be ripped away from them.

She sighed, leaning down and kissing his nose before closing her eyes as well, relaxing against the bed and reveling in the heat that their body exuded and engulfed her in a way that she hadn't felt since she was a young girl sitting by the hearth as it snowed outside.

She felt safe in their arms, she knew nothing bad could happen to her when she was with them.