18

Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"Love makes your soul crawl out from its hiding place." –Zora Neale Hurston

Harriet sat in the lush office, the dark color calming her better then the marble room had, she was sat in a large marron chair that engulfed her like a warm hug from ones mother. Across from her sat Marcus, who was cross legged with a large book in his lap.

This was the usual when they met up, the two of them would grab a book and rest read in silence both of them enjoying the silence that filled the room as they did so. Usually it would be relaxing, but seeing as a member of her family was almost killed it felt rather tense on her end.

"You've met most of your mates." Marcus pointed out, glancing up from the book and watching as her eyes scanned the room as if she had never been inside it before. "How are you liking them? Two lines are strong so far, a third one getting there."

Harriet smiled softly, turning her gaze towards the older male. "They are perfect," She sighed, crossing her legs and finally relaxing into the chair, though her eyes kept darting around the room. "I never really understood the sensation that people describe as love." She admitted, finally resting her eyes on the male who had closed his book and was now watching her with attentive eyes. "The feelings they give me are still rather new."

Marcus' thin lips spread into a soft smile, reaching over and setting the book on the end table by his seat before leaning back into his chair and intertwining his fingers. "I'm rather surprised that you found them." He admitted, his smile dropping to his usual bored face. "I was sure that Demetri would be your forever, even if you two aren't mates."

Harriet's eyebrow raised as she tapped her knee. "What made you think that?" She questioned, eyeing the male as he spoke.

"The bond between you and Demetri is still rather strong, at least on his end."

A sigh left Harriet, her gaze dropping to her hands as they gripped her knee. "I don't see him like that any more." She muttered, her face falling. "I to would have stayed with him if, no offense, he didn't join your ranks."

Marcus chuckled softly, tenting his fingers over his mouth. "I see no offense made," He muttered, a soft sigh leaving him. "Not many people like working with us, but we are needed to keep vampires safe. Even if some of them don't comply."

"It's a tough job being royalty." She mused, her foot shaking slightly. "Be lucky I stopped my assassinations, I've had plenty requests to attack your family."

Marcus' eye brow raised, "Can I know who requested for our heads?"

Harriet tsked, as if she was disciplining a child. "You know my motto, Marcus." She reminded, raising her finger. "Every person is anonymous when they go through me."

The male hummed softly, using his forefinger to tap his lips. They have had the conversation before, when Harriet had first met the volturi after they had requested for her service when she was first turned.