𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘳

We're fucked

TODAY WAS APPARENTLY important Dominique could hear her parents bustling around and talking about how someone needed to wake her up

TODAY WAS APPARENTLY important Dominique could hear her parents bustling around and talking about how someone needed to wake her up. She rolled her eyes and groaned as she sat up. At that same moment, Nate bursted into her room.

"Wake the fuck up, or I won't give you a ride." He boomed making Dominique give him a dirty look.

"It's six in the fucking morning, the damn carnival bullshit isn't for like twelve more hours." Dominique complained and she was not planning on leaving so early. She figured as she's gotten older, she could do more. Apparently not.

☹ ☹ ☹

SHE STOOD AT her father's chilli stand, sluggishly. Her family always put her in a shitty mood. Especially her father. God, how she despised that man sometimes. It was hard loving someone who hardly loved you.

"Hey, Dom," Nate greeted her, more chipper than usual. She sighed, and then looked to her brother with a smile. Aaron and Dominique were not close. He was older and Nate always seemed more— brotherly to Dom.

"Hey," She gleamed and sat down the pepper that she held in her hand. He stalked toward her with a cordial look. They've been closer than what they were in the  current moment, but the love that they did have was precious since it was little enough to break.

"Haven't seen much of you. Shit's gone down since you've conveniently," Nate told her, he stared off uncomfortably in case someone had been paying attention.

"Are you talking about, uh.. kiwi," She whispered trying to look inconspicuous. She looked down. He scoffed at her and put a finger under her chin, swiftly moving her head up to his since her secretive act is the least secretive shit ever.

"Yes. Kiwi.", He whispered, rolling his eyes at the childish code name. Dominique pursed her lips in disappointment. He removed his finger and leered down at her condescendingly.

"W-With who?" She asked nervously. "Did you find out?"

"Jules." He responded in a whisper. Dominique closed her eyes tightly and after a moment looked up to her big brother. Her stomach dropped with that single name.

"Fuck, does she know it's our dad?" Dom asked with fear as he looked her in the eyes with genuine guilt at mentioning this to his sister. This is something that would follow them for life. Dominique has dealt with this burden for a long time now and even as a kid she knew it would stick with her.

"I don't think so, but it won't be long before she does," He whispered to Dom. His eyes were filled with shame when they met Dominique's again.

"She does what?" Their mother asked the pair who were obviously conspiring. Dominque's eyes widened slightly and searched her brain for a reasonable response.

"Before Maddy gets here." Dom replied as quickly as possible. Nate cringed at that answer knowing his mother and Maddy hated each other. Dominique was pretty sure they were broken up too. They'd been on and off all of the time.

"Ah," Marsha Jacobs responded with distaste. She looked her daughter up and down and tried to hide the judgement. They'd been friends for years and her mother hated it. Maddy was an influence in Dominique's life and her mother knew it.

"What?" Dominique asked as she followed her mothers eyes. Another critical comment was about to rip down the bits of self esteem that wasn't already in shambles.

"You just... your outfit is a bit mature, don't you think?" Her mother asked and Dom shrugged. Dom's arms snaked around her own waist, hiding her exposed stomach. It had only been a cropped top but in the moment it felt like she'd only been in a bra.

"Uh, oh! Mr Jacobs!" McKay called out to their father, distracting their mother. 

The Jacobs looked like your average family. Their family portraits said a lot for themselves. They were pretentious and had money. Even Dominque found them sickening. She was sick of everything.

"Stingray McKay!" Their father cheered while Dominique made her way over to Cassie and she gave her a hug. Cassie ignored the feeling of butterflies of Dominique's soft touch. After a moment, they pulled away from each other. It was never a secret Cassie and Dominique had a very brief fling. That doesn't mean there's no tension between the girls.

"Where's Lexi?" Dom asked Cassie who paused and thought about it for a second. Her blue eyes returned to Dom's brown ones.

"Last I saw her she was with Rue, Rue's sister, Lexi, and Kat." Cassie informed her. Dom smiled big and looked back at her parents.

"Cool." Dom bubbled as she gave Cass another big squeeze. Cassie chuckled softly in Dom's ear. Dominique was childish in all of the best ways. For example, rides and carnival food with her bestfriend excited her a lot more than it should. Dom made her way over to her father, who towered her. He looked at her with a borderline scowl.

"Hey, is it cool if I go see Lexi?" Dom asked timidly.

"It's alright, but be back before the awards." He replied dimly and she nodded slowly with a forced smile. Nate watched her leave with a clenched jaw.

☹ ☹ ☹

 DOMINIQUE SIPPED A lemonade she paid for with some money she stashed. The sugary drink gave her life a bit of vibrancy, a sugar high is the only acceptable kind when her father was in the vicinity. Her arm was linked with Lexi's as they both sipped away giggling as they passed people they knew.

She relished in moments like these. Ones where they were pure and childish. It wasn't like that when she hung out with Maddy, or Kat, or even Rue. She caught Rue peering at her father with Jules and just like that her bubble had been burst.

The condensation from the cup had made her fingers easy for her to drop the cup. The lemonade splashed onto the ground. Lexi pulled her arm away from Dominique. Dom looked around as people eyed her, whispering. Suddenly it felt like the world had been laughing at her, so she took off. 

Away from Lexi, from Rue and Jules staring, cracking the code on who the man Jules had met. Nate watched her walk off. He didn't follow her.

She slipped away into the shadows. Something she wished to do always. Just running away. It was more in her favor than what would be in store the day people found out about her father. Or her issues she couldn't hide for much longer.

...POISON !

authors note: hiiiii, how are you liking the rewritten chapters so far?