Chapter 4

Chapter 4

~Jerome~

       Professor Kardan went from desk to desk, handing out the papers she just recently graded, which was only making me feel a bit nervous. Okay, a lot nervous. It was the first paper I was getting back at all in university and if I failed, it would only make me feel like I was going to fail out of university.

       When the professor got to my desk, instead of giving me my paper, she said in a low voice, "I would like to talk to you after class," before moving on to the next student.

       It was official. I was going to fail this class. I was never going to be able to become a vet. This was the only career I could think of that I would enjoy studying for and doing it when I actually get hired, and now I wouldn't be able to do it.

       Would it be completely inappropriate for me to just burst into tears? Maybe Professor Kardan would give me a pity grade. Surely there were some teachers out there that would give me a pity grade. I knew some teachers back in the high school gave Alan a pity grade.

       Though, it wasn't really a pity grade so much as them not wanting to teach Alan for another year.

       As soon as Professor Kardan dismissed the class, I packed up my things before heading to the professor's desk where she was already sitting. "Alright, just give it to me straight," I said. "How bad did I do?"

      "What?" Professor Kardan asked, her eyebrows furrowed. "Oh, no. Sorry, I guess I must have scared you by not giving you your paper beforehand. I just wanted you to know that this is one of the best papers I have ever read teaching this class."

       "Oh," I said. "Wow. Thank you. I... have never actually heard that before from a teacher. Not even in high school." But to be fair, I wasn't exactly the best student in high school. I would just rather not pay attention when I would either sleep or daydream about Nolan.

        "I could just tell how passionate you are about the subject just by reading your paper," Professor Kardan said. "You're wanting to become a vet, right?" I nodded. "When did you first think about it?"

       "To be honest, I few months ago," I said. "My boyfriend's family owns a vet clinic and I live with them in the house above the clinic. Sometimes, I got to help out in there and I just... I don't know, I kind of wanted to do more for the animals than just working at the counter."

       "Well, again, by reading your paper, I can tell that you are going to be an excellent vet." Professor Kardan handed me my paper, only for me to see a big, red A+ on the top of it.

       I thanked Professor Kardan before tucking my paper into my backpack, then leaving the classroom. I had to be honest, I was feeling complete and utter joy, something I never thought I would experience from school. I worked hard on that paper, rarely asking Grayson and Poppy for help, and it actually paid off.

       Maybe I didn't give myself enough credit.

       I was excited to show Nolan my grades but when I got home, Nolan was too occupied for me to tell him. And by occupied, I meant him, Orchid, Alan, and some guy I hadn't met look like they're doing pretty much anything but their schoolwork. Which was what I assumed they were doing with all the notebooks and their laptops strewn on the table.

       I walked to the kitchen where Ryder was sitting at the counter, watching the four teenagers. "I want to interfere," he said. 

       I looked back at the four teenagers. Nolan was lying on the couch with his eyes closed, using Daisy as a pillow. Orchid was lying upside down on one of the chairs, texting on her phone. The guy I hadn't met was trying to balance a pencil on the bridge of his nose.