Chapter 59

Chapter 59

~Nolan~

       I didn't know if I should try to help Jerome set up the tent or if I should just continue checking him out. I mean, watching him. Totally just watching him so I could learn how to set up the tent. I definitely wasn't checking him out because he was the most beautiful man I ever laid my eyes upon.

       Jerome must have been camping plenty of times because he had no issue setting up the tent by himself. He didn't even seem bothered that I wasn't helping and that I was instead sitting on the double camping chair we brought.

       Once the tent was set up, I did help Jerome get all our sleeping stuff into the tent. All of our food was staying in coolers in Jerome's car just in case animals decided to raid our campsite at night. His words, not mine, so I was a bit worried, but at the same time I knew Daisy would probably bark until they live. She could be very vocal at times.

       The moment the air mattress was blown up, I set the sleeping bag on it before lying down. "I'm going to sleep," I announced.

       "It's not even night," Jerome said. 

       I looked at Jerome and furrowed my eyebrows. "Yeah, and when has that ever stopped me from going to sleep?" I held out my arms. "Come snuggle with me."

       "Well, I can't argue against that," Jerome said. He got into the tent and zipped it up to prevent any bugs from coming in, knowing how much I hated bugs. I would probably cry if I saw one in the tent.

       At least Jerome wasn't scared of bugs so he would get them for me. That was the main reason why I married him.

       Jerome climbed onto the air mattress with me so I scooted next to him, resting my head on his chest. Unfortunately, we couldn't properly snuggle since Daisy decided to wedge her way in between the two of us.

       Jerome huffed. "I swear, she hates it when we snuggle. She does this all the time."

       "Not all the time," I said. "Just... Most of the time."

       "It's enough to make me think she gets jealous whenever I snuggle with you. I wouldn't be surprised if one day, she decides to pee on the side of my bed to stop me from lying there."

       "Daisy is an angel. She would never do such a thing."

       "She pooped in my shoe once."

       "Yeah, when we were still potty training her. Look at her face. Does this look like the face of a trouble maker?"

       "Yes."

       I knew Jerome didn't actually think that Daisy was evil or something considering he was definitely her second favourite. She just didn't like it when someone else took my attention because she wanted it all to herself, being a dog and all.

       I ended up napping for a little bit since I was a bit tired from the road trip, even though all I did was sit in the passenger seat and controlled the music. Nothing to tiring, but this was me I was talking about. My mental health didn't exactly make it easy to stay awake all the time.

       By the time I woke up from my nap, Jerome had decided to betray me and leave me all alone in the tent. Okay, sure, Daisy was still with me and judging by the sound of fire sparks and the smell of sizzling meat, Jerome was making dinner, but I still like to wake up with him beside me.

       I debated whether I should just lie in the tent a bit longer but eventually, my hunger took over and told me to leave the tent. I put Daisy's leash back on and leave the tent. Jerome was crouched beside the fire pit, cooking some beef and veggies on in a small skillet on top of the railing for the pit.

       Jerome noticed me so he smiled at me. "Good morning, cutie. Or evening. Either way, you're cute."

       "Need any help preparing dinner?" I asked.

       "Uh... I kind of want to do it alone, if that's okay?" Jerome said. "I've gotten so used to you or your parents preparing meals for me, but part of my recovery is also getting used to being around food and preparing it."

       "Okay, that's fine," I said. "But if it does get too much for you, just let me know. There's nothing wrong with asking for help and taking small steps."

       Jerome smiled at me again before going back to preparing dinner. We were having fajitas for dinner but to make things easier, we prepared all the toppings back home before leaving. It was just the meat and veggies we had to cook.

       Jerome not only cooked the meat but prepared the fajitas for both him and me. As he was doing so, I got Daisy her dinner. After putting my fajita together on a plate, Jerome handed it to me. "Here you go," he said. 

       I smiled at him and couldn't help but give him a kiss before he sat down beside me with his own dinner. It was really nice for it to just be the two of us at this campsite. Well, the two of us and Daisy, but still. We really needed to spend a few days with just the two of us, not having a single care in the world.

       After dinner, we just sat around the fire, talking about everything and anything. Soon enough as the sun was setting, it was starting to get a bit chilly so Jerome got a blanket from his car and sat back down beside me, wrapping it around the both of us.

       Before we went to bed, we had some s'mores since we couldn't not go camping and not have s'mores. Jerome only had one but I had three. I was tempted to have four, but I was full from dinner, the snacks on the drive here, and the three s'mores. I shouldn't force myself to eat a fourth.

       Jerome and I got ready for bed before we headed into the tent with Daisy. She, of course, tried to stop me and Jerome from properly snuggling, so I just moved her on the other side of me. She seemed content with that, curling up beside me in the sleeping bag. I rested my head on Jerome's chest, letting myself fall asleep to his heart beat.

____________________

my dog also doesn't like it when i give someone else attention, or when someone else is giving me attention. my mom was comforting me once when i was crying over something and my dog, a tiny little seven pound miniature pinscher, tried pushing my mom away so she could comfort me instead lol.