Chapter 2- Holy Mother Of God

Everyone is familiar with the feeling we undergo when we are waiting for some sort of result. That's how I was feeling right now anxiety, excitement, panic, and a wild heart inside my chest that was beating at the rate of two hundred times per minute. I know a human's heart can't beat at this rate but the way my heart has been thumping since yesterday, I would not be wrong to say so.

In an attempt to get my frantic heart under control, I was going to visit Ink. Whenever I am upset or miserable, I go to see him. Just to nuzzle with him, to bury my face in his shiny black hair, and to forget all my restlessness.

Finally, I halted in front of my destination and there he was standing with all his glory in the middle of the field, waiting for me to run and envelope him in my embrace.

I did the exact same.

Running towards him I threw both hands around his neck. That was it, I knew it would work. His soft skin against my face and the whiff of his shampoo made me forget all my worries.

"Sorry, I didn't get any chance to come and meet you the whole week, it was very hectic."

I mumbled in a muffled voice and he neighed in response.

Yes, Ink is a horse, a beautiful black horse. And for me, he is like a big brother. I know it sounds funny but he is three years older than me and has been here since before I was born. I have grown up with him, so naturally, a bond has formulated between us which is unaccountable. Dad used to bring me here a lot when was a child, he even used to take me and Reeve for long rides. That's how my love for horses came to life.

"Just a few more hours then I'll be fine right?"

Although I knew he never gonna answer back, speaking to Ink was like a habit to me. You know when you can take your heart out in front of someone with all the trust in the world.

I sigh, resting my head over Inks. I couldn't help my anxiety from the moment Adam brought his Grandma's words to me. She wants me to be present at the mansion this evening when the family will welcome Reeve.

Grandma Hearst loves me as her grandchild. Perhaps one of the reasons is my own grandmother, both the ladies used to be very close after all my grandmother served Grandma Hearst for twenty-five years of her life. As I have been growing up around the family I never felt extrinsic, I have always been a part of it. Especially for Grandma and Adam, the only two from the family I was really close after Reeve.

Uncle Damian is kind of a reserved person who doesn't express much but I know he cares, cares for everyone around him, including me and my dad. His wife is Mrs. Rose. Yeah Mrs. Rose, not Aunt Rose because she is a different case, at least for me. She doesn't like me, and why would she? After all, I'm the one who was the reason for a mother and son's parting.

So back to the family, Uncle Damian and Mrs. Rose have three children. The oldest child is Sharon, who is twenty-four and studying interior design in New York City. Reeve is the second child and the youngest is Adam.

Adam Hearst! What can I say about him? He is a sweet boy. He doesn't have the slightest bit of hauteur of his wealth. The boy is just like his father, very humble.

Adam is sixteen, one year younger than me. We go to the same school and he is extremely popular among the girls because of his riches and good looks. The Hearst are blessed with good looks, I don't think any unattractive person would have ever been born in their family. Adam has stunning ocean-blue eyes,  jet-black hair, and a mesmerizing smile, a smile to die for! Adam and Reeve used to look alike in childhood, just the difference in hair. Where Adam's hair is black, Reeve's blonde hair.

"Hello, Nova. I was expecting to see you here today, after all, it's the weekend."

Mr. Scott–– the hostler of the stable–– walked inside the rail fences when I was lost in my thoughts.

"Oh, hello Mr. Scott! How are you doing?" I asked politely.

Mr. Scott is a sixty-year-old dumpy man with a bald head and a bushy brown beard. He has been taking care of this stable since the days of Grandfather Hearst.

He always got pleased whenever I go that place, and why wouldn't he to meet the only human after spending his entire week around horses? This stable may belong to Hearst's, but not a single soul from the family has the slightest interest in horses and no one has visited the stable for ages.

So, the question is why this place is still in existence? Grandfather Hearst always had a deep affection for horses and as a souvenir in his memory, Uncle Damian left all the responsibility of looking after this place to Mr. Scott.

Mr. Scott and I chatted a lot and had a good time together. As always a strong evening tea with delicious fruit cake didn't make me realize when it was time to go home. I almost stumbled on the stairs while running on the way to my room because I was late, I had to present at the Hearst mansion in thirty minutes.

Gasping, I pulled open the closet doors whose insides were completely hidden by the posters of Jordan Larson, captain of the USA women's volleyball team. She is my role model, and my inspiration to achieve my dream to be a part of the national women's volleyball team. Staring at her smiling face for a full minute I realized that I was getting late so I began rummaging through the clothes.

Finally, I was looking in the mirror at my reflection, wearing a knee-length red dress that Dad brought me on my sixteenth birthday. My gaze settled into my dark hazel eyes in the mirror which contests well with my ivory skin and raven hair. holding up the hairbrush from the dresser I combed my curly hair that reached my waist. Now I was ready to go, I glanced at my reflection before leaving and gave myself an encouraging smile. "You look amazing."

Exactly at seven, I arrived at Hearst's mansion's luxurious living room which was as always looking spotlessly tidy, all the antiques were gloriously twinkling including the large golden crystal chandelier. Grandma was descending the red carpet stairs when I walked in. One of the maids helped her onto the elegant gold carving sofa, after sharing a warm hug with Grandma I went to stand behind her with Adam.

The sharp tap of high heels echoed in the hall when Mrs. Rose Hearst entered with her fascinating and commanding aura. She might be above fifty-five but still looks like a fresh supermodel directly jumped off the front cover of some fashion magazines. No one can guess that she is a mother of three children who unnaturally looks like her younger siblings.

She leaned down and hugged Grandma. " They will reach in a few minutes, Mom."

As she was standing straight up her eyes landed on me, her red lips got pursed and that familiar coldness returned to her brown eyes which I was used to seeing for myself.

The sound of the car pulling into the driveway broke our eye contact and acquitted me of that cold stare. The housekeepers began filling in the house with luggage bags. The little poor thing that people call heart, began rattling so hard in my chest that I was shocked I was still able to stand steadily. 

A few moments passed (that felt to me more agonizing than those long years) I saw Uncle Damian climbing the white marble steps toward the entrance door. A little way behind him appeared a silhouette of the person I had been dying to see for seven years.

When the exterior's dim light fell over him the only words that left my lips were.

" Holy Mother of God! "