Chapter 21 - Deja Vu

A smile of achievement blended with Natalia's fury-blanketed face as if she won something rare and that made my heart sink. Her eyes were shining with bitterness, It was certain that she gonna use this chance to its fullest and I was sure she was capable of that.

On their own, my eyes moved to Reeve as if calling for aid. He was just looking at me like everyone else, his eyes were empty of any reassurance that I was searching for. Once again, overthrew, I returned to confront my fate.

"So......truth or dare?" Natalia's hatred-dripping nasty voice reached my ears and my heart throbbed quicker than usual.

Feeling pathetic by Reeve's- I don't give a damn about you- attitude, and not having any alternative, I mumbled. "Truth." As to protect me from any chance of getting some stupid dare.

With a lopsided grin, she continued. "So darling, which time is this when you are partying with a high-class crowd like us?"

Smash! She directed that very rude question right at my face to humiliate me in front of everyone, which she was dying to do from the moment I was at that so-called party. The room went quiet, except for Lucy and Ellen who snickered, sitting on both sides of Natalia.

"I think you shouldn't have asked something we already know, Natt." Lucy placed her hand over Natalia's shoulder.

"What do you mean, babe?" Natalia batted her eyelashes. I knew they were doing that for a show.

"Oh, Natt! We all know it's her first time witnessing something this luxurious, right sweetie." Lucy finished and all three girls tittered.

Being insulted in front of everyone made my cheeks heat up and my throat choked,  the embarrassment was too much to deal with. I didn't want to cry especially when I could feel everyone gaping at me.

I didn't dare to raise my eyes which were fixed on my fidgeting hands placed over my lap. I didn't dare to look at Reeve cause I knew if I'll see his face I won't be able to hold back my tears.

"Enough Natalia!" Bill spoke.

"Who asked you to interrupt, Bill."

"This game is for fun, not for abusing someone." This time it was Kevin.

"Who asked you what this game is for, Kevin? This is my house, my party, and my rules will be followed here." Natalia snarled.

"Kevin is right, Natt. Stop this madness. " Oliver smacked his hand on the rug.

Almost everyone spoke in my support except for Reeve, which was enough to break my already shattered heart. Till now the atmosphere had heated up with their argument but my ears were just echoing, their words seeming like a distinct crowd murmur to me.

The next thing I knew I was running for the entrance door, I heard a few voices calling my name but I didn't look back or stop. Out of the house, across the lawn, out through the white wooden fence, and on the vacant street.

Hugging my cardigan tightly I walked and walked as fast as my legs could work, tears rolling down my cheeks. My head speeding with things that happened to me in the last few hours. It was hard to infer what was hurting me the most, being humiliated in front of everyone or Reeve's silence.

He was the one who brought me to this party against my wish.

Was it not his responsibility to defend me or was he enjoying watching his friends insult me?

My brain was buzzing with thousands of thoughts. I had been walking for a long now the tears had dried up by the warm breeze that was drifting through my face, floating my hair behind me. My legs were aching but I didn't stop, not realizing where the path was leading me only until the alcohol inside my veins made my head spin, and wobbled my balance.

I caught my breath and perched over one of the pavement blocks on the street side. Tightly shutting my eyes, I breathed a long sigh. After feeling calm I glanced over my shoulder, I had come far away from the farmhouse. Behind me, only the wild shrubs were visible in semidarkness. The street was deserted barely illuminated by the last streetlight, the path ahead was thoroughly drenched in darkness.

It must be past midnight the sound of every night creature was being heard as sharp as it had ever been before. I had no inkling where to go, not even sure if the route was right and would bring me to the highway but that much was certain this wasn't the path through which Reeve got us to the farmhouse.

In the dead of the night between the noise of gusts and the hustle of leaves, I was able to hear my own heart beating madly as if it had popped into my ears through my chest. I balled my sweaty palms into fists when the realization of being alone in the unfamiliar countryside hit me and gave rise to the terror in the pit of my stomach.

My limbs got weak as the fear gradually began enveloping me. The twitching of a branch from the thickets right behind me immobilized my body, the sound was identical to something trodding over the branches-strewn woodland. Beads of sweat formed on my forehead and all the saliva vanished from my mouth. I stopped breathing as if it might hear me.

It was something like Deja Vu, exactly the same situation that occurred to me near the creek in the jungle behind my house. The only difference was, at that time it was broad daylight and a familiar place but today the foreign place and the gloomy midnight increased the fear a hundred times.

Summoning every ounce of that little heroism that was inside me I gulped and looked over my shoulder. The thick shrubs were trembling.

It quivered, quivered, and quivered.