Chapter 20 - Truth and Dare

"The honest mate of yours is no one other than your heart, which never fails to tell what's right."

This is one of the many things my dad has been enlightening me with since I was a child. But was I really following my heart at that moment? Because it wasn't giving me those promising vibes it always gives me when I do the right thing.

I chucked all the liquor left inside the plastic cup in an attempt to dampen my dry throat but instead of helping it worsen the case, my throat burned in agony and made me cough.

"Are you alright?"

Bill who was sitting beside me on the floor asked, I gulped and managed to nod. All was ready to begin the game, everyone was settled in a big circle on the living room rug, except for Reeve whom I hadn't seen for the last ten minutes right after he made his way out— God knows where— through the backdoor.

"Shall we start?" Lucy placed an empty green beer bottle in the middle.

Yes, we were playing the famous Spin the Bottle, and let me tell the mere sight of that glistening green bottle was giving me those evil vibes that something bad was bound to happen.

"Don't you think you should explain the rules first?" Oliver asked Lucy. But instead of answering, Natalia and her both backers Lucy and Ellen began to laugh.

"Look who's speaking," Natalia said in her grating voice. "Everyone knows you are a master of such party games, Oliver."

"Yeah, but today there is someone new here." Oliver smiled tenderly at me which turned each pair of eyes in my direction and made me uneasy. Natalia and Lucy shared looks rather than explaining anything.

"It's too easy, Nova. Let me explain." Kevin who seemed the sweetest of all so far said. "As you must be knowing how Spin the bottle works,"

I just slightly nod my head. Of course, even kids know that. Everyone was quietly waiting for Kevin to finish.

"This one includes truth and dare. So, when the bottle comes to a stop, the person at whom it will point chooses a truth or a dare, and the person who spins the bottle will become the one asking the question or giving the dare, simple."

My insides squirmed at the mention of truth and dare as I knew this game could be awfully bad. Uggghh! I silently groaned while blaming the alcohol that was doing the moonwalk inside my veins when I agreed to play this game.

I took a look toward the backdoor from where Reeve left minutes ago, and it was as firmly sticking to the frame as Reeve left it on his way out. Of course, what was the point of playing such a severe game if he wasn't going to witness it? But now there was no going back so defeated I dragged my eyes back to the people sitting around me.

"I'll do it first." Ellen grabbed the bottle but before she could spin it the backdoor swung open with a click and at last, he walked in holding his shirt over his shoulder- straight to the middle of the room. After flopping the shirt over the couch he sat in the tiny space between Kevin and Freddie, right in front of me.

"Don't tell me you are playing now?" Natalia bewilderedly asked.

"I didn't even gonna tell you." Reeve curtly replied. All the boys tried to stifle their laughs except for Kevin who snickered loudly.

"Shut the fuck up, Kevin." Natalia was looking like the fire-spitting Dragon and then with those blazing eyes- which were red from the alcohol and seemed quite scary- she glared at me as if I was the reason Reeve changed his mind.

Or maybe Natalia is right. That small annoying voice spoke in my head.

I shook my head and looked away from her towards Reeve, who seemed focused on the game with a blank look. I knew it was a prohibited thing to happen but it did, Reeve's presence made my heart feel safe. I never thought, not even in my dreams that those cold eyes could ever make me feel warm, calm, and safe. Loud cheering steered me back to my surroundings.

"Truth or dare?" Ellen asked Freddie, towards whom the neck of the bottle was pointing and he didn't take more than a second to answer "Dare."

"Okay....." Ellen said excitedly. "Eat one raw piece of garlic."

Without any delay, Kevin ran to the kitchen and the next moment Freddie was sitting there holding a freshly peeled garlic. He grimaced but put the whole thing inside his mouth at once. Watching him chew the garlic made me sick to the stomach. He somehow swallowed it and everyone cheered for him.

And with more cheering and hooting the game moved on. Next, Kevin dared to kiss Lucy, it was weird to watch them kiss in front of everyone at least for me although both of them looked too comfortable, maybe it wasn't a very new thing for them. Oliver chose the truth and revealed his very first childhood crush who turned out to be his thirty years old maid.

For me, it was fun to watch the rapidly spinning bottle, to watch the nastiest secrets of people rolling out in front of everyone, and to watch people dancing, kissing, and doing many silly things as a dare. It was Bill who swirled the bottle next and it ended up pointing towards Reeve. With a chuckle, he asked. "Truth or dare mate?"

"Truth." Reeve grinned.

Bill mischievously smiled before asking. "Name one person in this room whom you would love to die rather than kiss?"

"Ooooooooo!" The chorus rang in the room, everyone interestingly looked at Reeve.

I hope he doesn't take my name. I wondered but I knew he would not even if he wanted to otherwise his game of pretending to be more than friends with me would end right there.

Reeve beamed, shaking his head then looked up at Bill with a knowing look.

"Natalia." He took the name as an announcement which ended up with each person being thrown into a shocking fit except Bill who was grinning.

OMG!

It was my inner self's reaction. I mean I knew Reeve had got guts but insulting Natalia in front of everyone in her own party was too much, especially for a- so full of herself - type of person like her. Natalia's face had turned ruddy and the expression on it was unpleasant.

"Let's... Let's move on." After a few minutes of awful silence, Freddie held the bottle but before he could spin it.

"Wait,"

Natalia almost growled with her still-red face and took the bottle from his hand. She spun it with such great force that it trembled while whirling at full speed. After many many rotations, its pace began to slow down and finally, came to a stop, and with that, my heart too almost stopped.

Wow! Wow to my great fortune, its head was evilly pointing in my direction.

I gulped.