Chapter 6 - Oh Jesus

How can I be so foolish? Why it didn't come into my mind earlier that where else will Reeve go other than Sequim High?

I managed to avoid coming one-on-one with him the entire day. Finally, the school was over and I was going back home without being humiliated because of that ridiculous coffee stain.

"NOVI."

Someone yelled my name on my way to the exit and I knew who it was without looking behind for the reason that the only person who addresses me as Novi rather than Nova is Samuel.

"Sorry, I went to the library." He breathed heavily as he jogged to catch up with me.

"Yeah! Yeah! Mr. Genius." I rolled my eyes.

"Is Nick staying back for the cheerleader's trial?"

"Yup,"

"By the way, why are you hanging your bag like this?" He pointed to my bag which I had hung against my chest. So pushing my backpack aside I showed him the stain.

"Gosh! How did this happen?"

I gave him the, You already know it, look.

"Nichole?"

"That's why she is wearing that jacket on a hot summer day like this cause she too has the same stain, right?"

"Right, my Sherlock Holmes."

I ruffled his hair when we both reached the parking. Putting his arm around my neck he began discussing the weekend's movie plan.

"Nova!"

I looked around and my mood got off. It was Adam who called my name but he wasn't the reason for my mental state getting paralyzed. The reason was standing right behind him, his dear big brother. Reeve was standing against a brand new shiny black open jeep, which must be the welcome gift for the dearest elder son of the Hearsts.

Samuel—  still encircling his arm around my neck— dragged us toward them. Both the boys exchange greetings then Adam introduced Samuel to Reeve who was just staring at us like a sculpture.

"Hi," Samuel said as sweetly as the sweet boy he was.

"Hey," Reeve replied as coldly as the cold boy he was.

"Nova, do you want a ride with us? we are going straight home." Adam gestured toward Reeve's jeep.

"Thank you, Adam but Samuel is driving me home."

"Oh, okay."

"See ya!"

I pulled Samuel toward his car and we hopped in, for the first time in my life a car's side-view mirror gave me the best sight which was peace to my soul. Watching Reeve still standing in the exact spot and staring at the back of our car made me feel intense satisfaction. The expression on his face- though, it wasn't much definitive- was something that offered a sense of triumph to me. As if by refusing I showed him that I have many important people in my life, that if I'm no one to him then he too doesn't exist for me.

The engine grumbled to life and we were off. As Samuel insisted and it was quite hot out there we stopped by the Bellflower cafe to grab some chilled drinkables. Hanging out with Samuel is unlike hanging out with Nichole. Around Nichole, it's always thrilling, wild, and fun on the other side being around Samuel is calming just like him.

Finally, he pulled the car in front of my house. "Do you want me to pick you up for school tomorrow?"

"Nick will pick me up. Don't worry, Samy."

He smiled. "By the way, that boy...what's his name again? "

"Who?"

"Adam's brother."

"Oh." I chewed my life's lip. " Reeve, his name is Reeve."

"Is that the same? Your childhood friend."

"Yeah, he is the same." I picked at my nail.

"Don't mind me asking, Novi." I knew where he was going and it made me uneasy. "Seeing you two didn't seem like that."

I took a deep breath and put on a smile. "Time changes everything, Samy. People and the relationships."

And it was Samuel, who was smart enough to understand my words and mature enough not to dig anything further.

"Aren't you getting late for your music class?" I reminded him.

"Of course, I am. Come on get off the car you lazy." He teased pushing me towards the door.

"I'm off! I'm off!" I laughed. "Hey, your shirt."

I began taking off the black shirt that he had given me before going inside the cafe so that I would avoid using my bag to hide my stained T-shirt.

"No need it's just one shirt, Nicole's wardrobe must have more of my clothes than her own." He chuckled.

I laughed. "That's true."

"By the way, people say I look sexy in T-shirt." He winked while tugging the neck of his T-shirt.

I rolled my eyes. "Get out of my sight you swell-headed."

"Stop getting jealous of my hotness, Novi." He yelled back from his car which was running towards the gate. 

Laughing I turned back towards the house. I simply stared at that empty and lonely white structure with a blue roof, where no one was waiting for me except for Bronzo who must be asleep right now. I didn't feel like going inside my deserted house.

At least not yet.

-

Thud!

I groaned in pain and frustration when I tripped over the root of a palm tree and fell forward on the sloping path.

"Ughh. What sin have I done for my day is going this bad?"

Muttering I brushed the mud out of my hands after getting to my feet and began limping towards the creek which for me is the most beautiful and soul-calming place. The melodious sound of running water, far-reaching greenery, trees laden with blossoms, and creepers where birds were twittering in their soothing voice.

I relaxed on a rock blanketed with moss and felt relieved as I put my feet inside that warm running water.

This place was just a short distance away from my house or should I say it comes after walking for about fifteen minutes inside the forest located behind Hearts territory.

I found this place two years back when I was feeling alone and anxious inside my empty house just like today. I always come here when my dad is out of town and I miss him. Although Dad doesn't know anything about it and I'm never going to tell him. Obviously, which father would prefer his seventeen years old daughter to go to such a secluded place on her own?

For parents, every place where their children go without them is unsafe but this one is not. I have been coming here for the last two years and this place is as safe as my bedroom back in my house.

After moving my legs back and forth in the water for a while I could feel my body getting rid of the fatigue. I slumped my shoulder in relaxation, I have had enough in the past few days, and right now the surrounding was urging me to unload all the stuff off my head in the running water and let it flow far away with it.

I closed my eyes in delight but unaware the rustling of leaves made me startled causing me to look over my shoulder. Something was moving behind those wild shrubs.

Little did I know that this day hadn't ended yet and I had more adventures to go on with this terrific day.

Oh, Jesus!