Chapter 18 - The Unwanted Invite

The tip of the pen smoothly glided over the sheet of paper, oozing beads of black ink that when espoused with the yellowish surface- which turned into the color over the past years- got thoroughly soaked up and emitted beautiful streaks of different thicknesses here and there.

Did I mention before that I like sketching? I guess I didn't. Carrying my sketchbook always in my backpack gives me a kind of calmness, although I sketch very rarely. And like those rare occasions, today I was rolling the pen on the paper without worrying about what I was pulling out. This is because my head was already buzzing with hundreds of thoughts.

But it's always a nice thing, isn't it? When you have no inkling what you will get at the end like a sweet pleasant surprise and who doesn't like surprises? At last, when it finally finished off I found a horned demon's incredible face looking- straight into my eyes- out of the book.

Not bad! I praised myself. Like people say, there's always something behind every piece of art that inspires the artist. So I began wondering what could have inspired me to draw this beautiful demon.

Of course, the one who is haunting your day and night. That small voice in my head spoke again.

Yeah, it's actually looking identical to Reeve. I joked and laughed to myself. I must be looking crazy to anyone who would see me laughing alone while sitting in a classroom full of kids. I had no other option but to entertain myself because I wasn't sharing English literature class with any of my friends this year.

I was so engrossed in admiring my expertise (which only seems to me) that I vaguely remembered someone taking the empty seat beside me.

"What are you laughing at?" He mumbled.

My heart caught and I snapped my head up, eyes darting to his face.

"Why are you here?"

Unintentionally the insulting question made its way out of my mouth and my hands, on their own, flew to hide the sketch from Reeve's sight as if he would recognize the demon as himself. Not realizing at that moment that that act was too foolish.

He skeptically looked at my hands, shutting the book hastily I shoved it roughly into the beg before he could take a peek. I sat straight looking at him waiting for the answer to my question.

He shrugged his shoulder as a gesture to ignore my crazy behavior.

"What are you doing here?"

"Because I have chosen to study English literature."

Of course, from whom I was expecting to get a straight answer, I rolled my eyes.

"I know that. My question was why aren't you sitting with your friend like always?" I motioned my eyes at Bill Smith who was sitting alone in their usual seat.

"It's none of your business." He said curtly.

Jerk! His rude behavior made me recall my last night's sleepover conversation with Nichole. It started when I was running behind her with a pillow in my hand.

"It was your fu*king idea to blackmail Reeve." I kept following and hitting every inch of her I could reach with the pillow.

"I should have known..." I said smacking her back with great force. "...It will put me in deep trouble."

She jumped and quickly climbed onto her bed. "I saw it in a movie." She defended herself, standing there using a tiny puffy white cushion as a shield. "At least it worked for you, even... even if only for one week?"

I huffed before throwing the pillow square at her pretty face, she moaned.

"You deserve it." I tiredly dropped myself onto her queen-sized bed and lay on my back staring at the ceiling.

After turning off the lights except for the table lamp she pulled the sheets over us and lay beside me, both of us staring at the ceiling. "We'll work something out, okay."

I sighed heavily. "I hope so."

"Did you ask him why he chose you of all girls?" She asked.

"Isn't it obvious? He is taking revenge."

She hummed while considering my theory. "But wasn't he the one who ignored you at first?"

"What are you trying to say?"

She flipped on her side to face me. "I'm saying if he really wants to avoid you wouldn't he be happy when you told him to keep you out of his business? But no, he wants you to help him, why?"

"You are overthinking."

"Okay, maybe I am but don't you think you should ask him?"

Her statement tossed me into deep thought. She was right, why me of all the girls? Wasn't he the one who ignored me, and treated me like we were strangers? Wasn't he who made me spend most of my nights this past month sobbing under sheets, thinking desperately about what have I done to gain this kind of bitter attitude from him?

I knew there were plenty of girls he could ask to fake a relationship with him and they would do anything just to be by his side. So, last night I made a mental note to ask him first thing when we'll meet. Why me?

"Why me?" I asked looking directly into Reeve's eyes.

"Excuse me?" Of course, he didn't understand my question.

I cleared my throat. "There are many girls, why me?"

"You are not on the side to ask questions?" He answered with an arrogant look.

I turned on my seat to face him with a— don't you mess with me—  look.

"When I am unwillingly..." I emphasized the last word. "...helping you in this stupid game of yours then I have every right to ask any questions and deserve to get straight answers for each of them."

He smiled sardonically showing his disrespect towards my statement and making me know how little does he give a damn about my question. But I as stubbornly- as I have been since I was born- kept staring at him, swearing to keep it up until I didn't get my answer. Even if I was forced to help him, It doesn't mean I was going to make it easy for him.

He huffed and I succeeded. "I don't want to risk any other girl getting attached to me, I don't want that so-called feeling and relationship shit."

"This isn't the answer to my question."

"As for the answer to your question you probably hate me so there will be no chance of you falling in love with me."

I didn't know why but my heart fluttered to hear him say that maybe it wasn't the reply I was expecting and that was just the impact of that unexpected answer.

"Now when your stupid query is over I would love to come to the point of why I'm here in the first place." Reeve as always ignored me and began talking.

"As you have agreed to help me..."

"Ah ah... Forced." I corrected him.

He shrugged his shoulders. "As I have forced you to help me..." He smirked which made me roll my eyes. "...your first task is that you'll accompany me to a house party this weekend."

Wait?

What?

Why?

You can't just order me like this.

You should ask if I want to come or not.

Yes, all these questions that  I wanted to ask at that moment were left unbidden and unanswered as fifteen minutes after the start of the lecture Professor Lily decided to finally walk into the class, and Reeve— without sparing one single glance at me— left to sit next to Bill.

Badly trapped!