Chapter 13 - The Message

"Are you insane?" Samuel yelled, hanging back in the process of grabbing his books from the locker.

"Going out to meet an unknown guy and coming back home almost passed out."

"So, what? I always go back home like this after each party." Nichole replied, leaning against the lockers and applying a light peach color to her lips, her entire attention focused on the pocket mirror in her hand.

I was quietly listening to them. I never speak in the middle of a quarrel or try to calm these two unless one is about to kill the other.

"How can you be so reckless?" Samuel asked.

"Oh, so now you are getting worried. What happened when you refused to accompany us to the club, huh?" Nichole growled.

"I refused because I didn't know about your date." He replied matter of factly.

"Yes, as if I would have told you then you would have come running instead of working on your...your four weeks ahead of some assignment, wouldn't you?" She scoffed, with both of her hands on her hips.

I suppressed my laugh and hid my face behind the locker door. It's true, that Samuel always remains weeks ahead of the classes as If he will move with others, It will make him less genius. So, not to listen to the insults both of my best friends were throwing at each other's faces, I pulled my phone out. For as long as I remembered I hadn't checked it out after the club last night because I spent the remaining night- following that not-so-pleasant dinner with Reeve- sobbing under my sheets and spent this entire morning asking Dad for forgiveness, reassuring him that something like this won't happen again.

My phone had Dad's three missed calls from last night which I surely didn't notice while I was in the club and one text message from an unknown number received this morning. 

7:30 am

« I have something that I guess belongs to you. If you would like to take that back meet me outside the boy's locker room at five after your volleyball practice this evening. »

There was a heart emoji at the end of the message, I was confused. Who this could be?

Lost in this confusion, I shut the door of my locker. By then Nichole had turned her attention back to the pocket mirror in her hand and Samuel was looking pissed off. I was sure they both had insulted each other a lot.

"Will you stop painting your lips with this disgusting color, it makes me feel like throwing up?" Samuel remarked and Nichole gasped.

The look of utter disgust on Samuels's face and complete shock on Nichole's forced me to burst out in laughter.

"How dare you?" Nick asked Samuel with gritted teeth. "Shut your mouth up, Nova." She snapped and returned to Samy. "If you have so much problem with me then for God's sake stay away." She shouted before shoving the mirror and the lipstick in her bag and storming down to the hallway.

"Nick?" I called her name, and she looked back at me and made a very rude gesture with her finger.

Oh-oh! I pissed her off exactly the moment when I needed her the most. What will I do about this message now? I groaned. Samuel bumped his shoulder into mine before encircling his arm around my neck, pulling me with him.

"Nick is becoming more and more touchy nowadays, God knows what's up with her." Samy sighed when we both walked toward the class.

"She'll be alright, don't worry." I squeezed his hand placed on my shoulder.

As we were about to enter the class someone held my wrist from behind. I turned back and froze catching a glimpse of those gray eyes. That tiny tug halted Samuel's motion too.