Chapter 5 - Almond Iced Coffee

The only sound echoing in the peaceful street was Nichole's shrill laughter which was drawing the attention of the passersby, and I don't blame them, who would not notice a crazy girl sitting on the bonnet of her car and laughing like no one is watching? I was leaning against it, we were enjoying cold coffees on our way to school.

"But why did you....." She doubled up, incapable to speak.

"Will you stop?" I made another waste attempt to shush her when an elderly woman glared at us, muttering something that I was sure wasn't pleasant.

"Okay, sorry." Regaining her breath, she put the cup of her almond-iced coffee beside her.

"But what did you two are playing at, sleeplessly wandering around animals at midnight." She said in a disgusting tone.

"And coming to the next point if I would have discovered you hiding inside the stable at midnight then I would have asked the same thing, it isn't his fault."

I looked at her with disbelief. "Who's friend are you?"

"Of course yours."

"Then stop taking his side." Sipping a mouthful of coffee I rolled my eyes.

"I'm not taking his side, silly." Putting one arm around my neck she asked. "So, what next?"

And the answer to her question was on my lips as soon as she asked it.

"I will never see him again."

Nichole raised her eyebrow. "And how will you do that after being his so-called... ummm... neighbor?"

"I'll avoid going to his house and he is not gonna come to mine ever, simple."

"If you say so." Nichole shrugged and that mischievous grin reappeared on her lips.

"Now, what?" I snapped.

"Wait till I tell Samuel about your midnight adventure."

"No, you will not."

"Just wait and watch."

Bobbing her head up and down she again started giggling. Leaning back at the front of the car, her hand crashed with the coffee cup beside her, and the entire content rained all over the windshield.

We both gawked open-mouthed at the thick brown stream of coffee running downward on the glass. Nichole looked at me and now it was my turn to laugh.

"What are you laughing at?" Her cheeks flared red with anger and it was one of the poor qualities of Nichole, she gets irritated soon.

"Stop laughing okay." She warningly pointed her index finger at me. "Nova, stop it."

"Oh really! I guess someone was saying the same thing to you minutes ago, right?" I smirked evilly. "Karma sucks, babe."

Nichole squinted her eyes annoyingly before grabbing the fallen cup and plunging the remaining coffee over me.

"Oopsy." She batted her lashes innocently.

Lowering my head I found a big brown ugly stain on the lower half of my white T-shirt. It was bad very bad.

Half fuming and half agitated I looked at her satisfactory face. "I told you before, karma sucks."

 —

For the last few days, my life has been crammed with distasteful terrible events and now I was sitting at the back of the class with a large brown stain on my white t-shirt. It's not that I didn't take revenge on Nichole, now she too has the same stain on her maroon blouse but by happy chance, she also has a jacket to hide it

I wanted to skip school very badly today, of course, who would want to come to school with a coffee blot? But if I'd been absent in the early weeks of the year, Mr. Andrew—  our homeroom teacher— would have killed me.

"Hey, daydreamer."

The whisper of these words startled me, halting the train of my depressing thoughts and I found Samuel smiling face looking at me.

"Sorry, I didn't see you coming." I tightened my grip on the bag kept on my lap with the help of which I was concealing that stupid stain.

"I know." He took a seat beside me. "Is everything all right? You seem a bit off nowadays."

"I'm fine." I shrugged my shoulders. "Kind of."

"You don't want to tell me?" He asked with puppy eyes.

I smiled at his cute face. People say that no one is perfect but if they'll ask me, I would say there is a person who is just one step off from being perfect and his name is Samuel Brooks, my best buddy.

Samuel is one of the best kids in our class, he is a genius. It is only with his help that Nichole and I have been able to pass each year with good grades. He is an incredible singer who knows how to play various musical instruments. He has chocolate brown eyes and light auburn mid-length wavy hair which he wears in a relaxed messy manner. The thing that made him cuter is the round glasses he is rocking since forever.

Back to the perfection, so dear Samuel would have been perfect if he was not zero in one department and that is called girls. To be honest, there are probably only three such girls Samuel doesn't get nervous around and that is me, Nichole, and Samuel's mother.

He cocked his eyebrow when I didn't answer. "I will tell you but not now," Saying so I tilted my head towards the door from where Mr. Andrew was walking in.

There was a sudden disruption in the room when students moved back to their seats. Nichole too came back to us — who was by now gossiping with Scarlett— and ruffled Samuel's hair taking a seat beside him.

"Good morning, students."

The teacher got a low and unenthusiastic murmur of greetings from the class. Like always kids initiated whispering and gossiping cause Mr. Andrew doesn't care who's attentive and who's not as long as the students aren't absent without any reasonable reason.

The attendance session was as humdrum as ever. I internally rejoiced, though painfully at last it was over but the happiness didn't last long because smiling Miss Mary made her way into the classroom.

Now what?

I groaned because I was eager to go to the first class. After all, I wanted this day to end as soon as possible without being mortified by my T-shirt. I annoyingly focused my attention on the strap of my bag.

"Morning class! So before you begin your day I would like to introduce a new student and a new friend to all of us." Miss Mary proceeded and her voice floated to my ears through the mumbling of the students.

Suddenly the commotion in the classroom subsided a little bit, and those who weren't giving attention to the teacher looked up to find out the reason for this silence. I too lifted my gaze and it fell on the face that I had vowed never to see again just this morning.

No, no, no!!! This can't be happening!

"Welcome, Mr. Hearst. We are very pleased to receive you here. Would you like to tell the class something about yourself?"

The eyes of every person present there were fixed only on him, waiting for him to speak. I sank low in my seat so as not to get noticed by him. Again there was that impassive expression on his face, and at that moment I discovered that I hate it.

"Hello! My name is Reeve Hearst, I hope we all do well together."

Yeah, why not!