Chapter 7 - Bloody Intruder

Oh, Jesus!

Run! Run! Run! Nova!

And the next thing I knew I was running barefoot on the leaves and branches covered forest ground for my dear life. The rustling of leaves grew louder, and I boosted my speed as much as I can because of the pebbles stinging on the soles, reducing my pace with each step.

Thud!

Not again!

Once again I fell on all fours, trembling from head to toe. My shoes drop off my hands fell far away and I sensed something right behind me. Tightly shutting my eyes I began muttering.

"Please don't eat me. Please! Please!"

When a few seconds passed by and nothing attacked I narrowly opened my eyes and my gaze settled over a shadow on the ground in front of me, which was not of any animal, it was of a human.

Wrong Turn. It was the last horror movie of my life that I saw with Nichole, throughout the film, she held my arm so hard that the next day I had brushes. Being alone in an isolated forest, and a person chasing me like this. Oh, God save me!

Now my heart made its way to my throat and was banging in my ears. The shadow started to grow bigger. I frighteningly closed my eyes again and screamed while rolling on my back. Abruptly one strong hand covered my mouth and the other gripped my head from behind to muffle the sound. I snapped my eyes open still yelling as much as possible and I saw him.

Reeve!

"Stop shouting." He growled.

Relief swopped over me and I stopped screaming. When Reeve removed his hand I breathed a great amount of air and held my chest with both hands where my heart was still beating like crazy.

"You...you scared the hell out of me."

He didn't answer just stood up and walked back to the creek, so casually, even after scaring the shit out of me.

Seriously! I think he forgot his heart back in London. There exists a thing called humanity.

Cursing him, I stood up on my fragile feet, and my head spun. Holding it with both hands I gave it a little shake and looked around. That familiar deserted jungle was scaring me for the first time in two years, maybe it was the upshot of the weird and embarrassing thing that happened to me just a few seconds ago.

Picking up my shoes I moved to follow him to the creek. Reeve was sitting on the rocky shore with a cigarette between his lips. So, yeah. He had that bad habit too.

I put my shoes down and sat on a rock a little away from him, stealthily peeking through the corner of my eyes. He inhaled the cigarette and puffed the thick white smoke out, staring intently at the water. The strong smell of tobacco reached me and forced me to wrinkle my nose.

He had rolled up the sleeves of his black loose-fit t-shirt to the elbow, he was looking as always perfect. After placing the cigarette between his teeth, he ran his fingers through his already messy blonde hair.

"Why are you always in those places where I expect no human being to be?" 

Hearing his question-cum-accusation, I felt my voice stuck in my throat. Later breathing two-three times I managed to get it back.

"Excuse me?"

He again puffed smoke out before speaking. "What are you doing here?"

As if I'll answer him. I smirked.

He smoked the last puff of his cigarette before throwing it down to the ground and crushing it under his boots, breathing the remaining smoke out the entire time. Taking a perfect half minute for this process he finally looked at me, and his gaze settled on my face then It moved up and down over me, and at last it stuck on Samuel's shirt.

"What?" I annoyingly asked.

He looked back at my face and sighed. "What are you doing here, Nova?"

Ohhhh!!!

Hearing my name again from him melted something inside me. No matter how much I was angry with him, I was missing my best friend but he doesn't and that thought reminded me of my resolution.

Resolution to Avoid Reeve Hearts!

I struggled to control my stomach— which was at that moment busy doing somersaults— and prepared myself to retort.

"No, first you tell me. Why don't you stop intruding on all my special places?"

First the stable and now the creek.

Reeve furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and deep folds appeared on his forehead. "I don't understand."

"Oh, let it be, you won't understand." I rolled my eyes.

"It takes a heart to realize the value of a place being special to someone, which you don't have."

I dragged my shoes towards me and put them on. Standing up I dusted off my jeans.

"One more thing, don't you dare to pollute my special place ever again."

It's not like I'm a naturalist, I just had a special type of attachment to this place that the idea of someone smoking here disgusted me.

"It's good for you if you find some other place to fulfill your addiction otherwise grandma won't be pleased to know what her ideal grandson was doing here secretly."

As always he did something unique than I assumed. He ironically smiled to himself as if I said something childish and turned his gaze back to the creek.

I stood there silently waiting for his reply but it never came and it was a cue for me to leave. So, I make my way to the path that led to my house where Bronzo must have woken up by now and will be waiting for me to share the experience of my incredible day with him.

"Bloody intruder," I muttered.