Chapter 8

It had been nearly a week and no one was able to break in the horse, that animal would not give up, it was early in the morning and Clara was sitting on the fence, looking at the stressed out animal before grabbing a rope and heading into the arena.

"Clara?" Bordon asked himself, seeing her walk to the animal, "Dammit!"

He ran off to get Colonel Tavington and inform him what was going on.

"Hey, I'm not going to hurt you," Clara whispered, slowly moving towards the wild horse, "I know you're scared and I can only imagine what you've been through."

The animal reared up slightly and moved around her fast, not liking this one bit. Clara caught a glimpse of his eyes and saw he was sad, he was ripped away from his family, taken away, he longed to go home.

"I know what you're going through and I feel it too." She whispered, taking one step towards the animal that was starting to back up, "So let's take one step at a time."

The animal reared up again and went to kick at her but she moved out of the way.

"Colonel, Clara-" Bordon gasped out, "She- Horse-"

Tavington's eyes widened, "She could get hurt."

The two men ran out and back to the fenced-in area, they saw some men surrounding the arena, staring at the scene going on.

"I've got my eyes on you," Clara whispered, looking right at the horse, not taking her eyes off of him, "It's okay."

Tavington's breath hitched as the animal stopped moving and let Clara come to him, he held his breath as she wrapped the rope around his neck gently and got on his back.

Everything went quiet, Clara petted his mane softly, "It's okay." She whispered softly, the animal snorted and dragged his hoof along the dirt before going off and trying to buck her off.

"Colonel-"

"No, let her be."

Clara tightened her legs around the horse, trying not to get bucked off, the horse didn't give up.

"Colonel!"

"I said no!" Tavington snapped.

The Mustang raced around the arena before rearing up, Clara clutched on to his mane as the animal jumped around, continuing to try to get the human off his back.

"Colonel, she-"

"She's going to be fine."

The horse continued this for quite a while before he reared up again and jumped the fence, racing around the field, the men turned and watched as Clara managed to control the horse, going right when she directed him right and going left when she directed him left. Tavington projected a proud smirk on his face. Clara rode back to the arena and looked down at the men, who's jaws were dropped. Bordon stopped sweating, Wilkins was just as proud of her as Tavington was, although he observed from the back.

Tavington stepped forward and led the two to the stables, opening a door and she rode in.

"Amazing job." He says with a bright grin, "What are you going to name him?"

"Aries, God of War."

"Perfect choice love." He grins and kisses her forehead, "You did give me a scare."

"You?" Clara gasped, "Imagine how I felt!" She laughed and turned to the horse, "I'm gonna stay here for a while."

"Alright then, you can stay as long as you like." Tavington says, with a smile before turning on his heel and walking out of the stables, Clara blushed and went into the stall, brushing the now tamed horse. She ran her fingers through his mane, the animal dragged his hoof along the bottom.

She continued to clean the animal and give him all of the love and care she could provide for him. Aries bowed his head and looked over at the girl, his eyes showing that he was happy and grateful. She petted his muzzle and thought of her horse back home.

"Oh Athena," She whispered sadley, "I miss you so much."

She looked out the window of the stall and put her brush back into the little bucket that was placed inside, "Let me get you some food." She left to get some hay.

Captain Wilkins just stared in awe as Clara broke the horse in, it was rather amazing to watch.

"That's my girl." He muttered under his breath, a grin on his face, "That's my girl."

He was one of the men who clapped and cheered for her, although his back was hurting from getting thrown off the beast a few times himself. He was proud of the girl who took care of, very proud of her, just as much as Tavington was.

Tavington walked to his tent, got changed and sat down, running his fingers through his silky hair.

"Heavens darling," He muttered under his breath, "You have no idea the things you do to me."