Chapter 17

Clara wrapped her arms around William, yawning. He kissed the top of her head, two weeks have passed since the ball and once again Lord Cornwallis was giving the man grief about some local militia soldier nicknamed, "The Ghost."

"How'd you sleep last night love?" He asks, in a quiet voice.

"Perfect, my legs hurt for some reason though." Clara giggled quietly. Tavington winks at her and smirks. He moves her red hair out the way and rubs his fingers over the red marks that littered her neck.

"Well I have to make sure everyone knows you're mine." He says, kissing her softly. Clara smiles and rests her head in the crook of his neck, kissing his collarbone gently. He smiled and ran his hand up and down her back, it was still cold outside but their body heat was keeping each of them warm.

"Well, I have a day off, what shall we do?" He asks in a low voice, holding her close to him.

"I have an idea."

"Well then, what is it?"

"It's a surprise," Clara smiled and said, "Come on, I'll show you."

They both got up and got dressed, Tavington in his uniform and Clara in a maroon dress. She hopped on her horse side-saddle and Tavington on his animal. They rode off onto a road, they rode for quite some time before they came upon a beautiful wooden house.

"What is this place?" William asked, riding close to her.

"My dream home," Clara said with a smile, "I've always admired this house, wanting to have a husband and raise a family there. The lady who owns it has been saving it for when I am ready."

William wrapped his arm around her shoulder, "It's beautiful. Well, when we get married, we'll move in as soon as possible."

"Sounds lovely," Clara said, "We'll raise our kids here and have a perfect life."

"I love that idea," He said, kissing her cheek, "Let's head back, alright?"

Clara nodded her head and they rode back to camp, it was still cold but the bright sun made it slightly warmer.

Clara rode behind him slightly, enjoying the slow pace they were going.

Tons of men jumped from the woods and armed with guns which were pointed at them.

"We'll take any weapons you may have."

Clara rode forward and looked at the armed militia.

"Mr. Martin?" She asked, "Benjamin Martin?"

The man in the front froze, a boy with dirty blonde hair came forward.

"Gabriel?"

"Clara?"

"Clara?!"

"Father!"

"Mr. Martin?"

"Colonel?"

"Gabriel?"

Everyone stared at each other in confusion, "What- How- Why are you with this man?" Gabriel asked in disbelief.

"For some reason," Clara paused, "I can't explain it. It's a bit of a long story."

Colonel decided it would be best if he just shut his mouth.

"Now," She continued, "We need to be getting back." She moved forward on her horse with confidence. Tavington followed behind, looking down at Benjamin Martin with a smug look on his face. They rode back to camp safely and headed back to their tent. Clara laid down and stretched, Tavington wanted to ask how they knew each other but decided against it. He laid down and pulled her close to his body.

"I love you, you know that."

"Of course." Clara said, looking up at him.

"The war is at it's peak right now." Tavington sighed, Clara's heart almost stopped with fear.

"Uh-huh." She nodded.

"Here's what I need you to do."

Clara sat up and looked at her man, she felt like she knew where this conversation was going.

"Of course, anything." She nodded her head, her hands shaking.

"There'll be a big battle tomorrow, against the militia, at dawn. Go to the house, take everything with you and wait. If I'm not back by sunset, I love you, I will always love you. With all my heart and mind. You are my joy, you are my hope, you are everything to me. I need you to leave now, do you understand me?"

Clara let a tear fall but nodded her head so he knew she understood what he needed her to do.

"I understand."

Tavington nodded her head and pulled his lover close to him, kissing her deeply. He ran his fingers through her hair. Clara held his biceps tight, not wanting to let him go. He held her tight and hugged her, she let herself cry into his shoulders. Tavington wrapped his arms around her, holding her like she was his last life line. Her body shook with fear and sadness. For the first time in a long time, a very long time, the tough, ruthless, heartless:

Colonel William "The Butcher" Tavington let a sad tear fall down himself.