Chapter 16

A week passed, Lord Cornwallis' ball was the next day. Clara didn't want to go but if it gave her the chance to make Tavington jealous, she loved it.

"Bordon! Wilkins!" Clara gasped looking at the dress, "Is this the dress I was looking at in town?"

"Yes it is." Wilkins said with a proud look, she smiled and hugged the two men tight.

"Thank you!"

"We knew you'd love it." Bordon said, hugging her back, "Now go get dressed, we leave in an hour, as soon as you finish, go to Middleton place. You can go to your tent! Tavington is down by the river, shaving."

Clara nodded and got to her tent, she put on the dress, fixed her hair, and put on the hat that went with it. She saw Tavington's uniform folded neatly on his cot, she grabbed her necklace and placed it on top of his jacket.

She grabbed Aries and rode off to the place. The party had started, everyone was mingling, talking, dancing, drinking champagne. She hitched her horse and went to have a good time.

Tavington sat down by the river, a razor gliding against his cheek as he stared in his reflection in the small mirror he held. He stared into his own eyes and sighed, he finally finished and went back to his tent. He finished buttoning his shirt, tucked it in his pants, put on his jacket. He looked at the necklace and sighed, picking it up and shoving it in his pocket. He put on the rest of his clothes and exited the tent, other red-coats littered the area, fixing their outfits.

He mounted his horse and the Green Dragoons rode off.

Clara smiled, drinking a glass of champagne, she was having a good time.

"I take it to understand," A woman spoke, "You were taken from your home by the brutal Colonel Tavington?"

Clara nodded her head, "Yes ma'am, although it's not so bad. As soon as the men found I could sew clothes they were begging me to stay."

The women around her laughed, Clara smiled, she felt like she belonged.

"And your dress, it's beautiful."

"Thank ma'am." She bowed her head. She felt someone tap her shoulder, she turned and saw a very handsome young man, very close to her age, unlike Tavington, who was 36 to her 18.

"May I have a dance?" He asked with a slight smile, Clara nodded and took his hand, they headed to the floor and waltzed together. At this moment in time, she forgot about Tavington.

"And shall I have the name of this pretty girl I'm dancing with?"

"Clara." She said with a light blush, "And yours?"

"Alexander."

She smiled as they continued to dance the night away.

Tavington hitched his horse, took the necklace out of his pocket, and went to go meet people. He looked all around for Clara but she was nowhere to be seen, however, Bordon and Wilkins knew exactly what she was wearing so once they spotted her, they smiled.

"We did good," Wilkins grinned, Bordon nodded his head in agreement, "I wonder what's going to happen once they meet each other."

"We better stand by, just in case she rips his head off." Bordon says, grabbing two glasses of Champagne.

Tavington does the same, he sips on it and scans the crowd like an owl searching for a mouse. He spots her and walks over, straightening his suit and running his hand over his slicked back hair that was tied. He goes over to her and waits for her to turn around. Once she does, she stares up at him, a flash of anger passes over her eyes.

He bows and extends his hand, "May I have this dance?" He asks in a soft voice, Clara thinks for a minute before placing her hand in his. She had made a test for him and she wanted to see if he passed.

"Yes you may." She says with a slight frown as he pulls her close to him, he places his hand on her waist, her hand on his shoulder. The free hands held the other, raised slightly in the hair. They stay silent as music plays and they dance together.

"Clara." He whispered, "I apologize for the way I have been acting towards you lately."

She stared up at Tavington, not accepting his apology, not yet. So, she stayed quiet. They continued to dance for a long time, she did miss being in his arms.

"It's just, this war and the stress that's being put on me from Lord Cornwallis," He continued, "I have a lot of pressure going on, there's a burden being put on my shoulders, it's heavy and I don't know how much longer I can wait before I break."

Clara continued to stay quiet, not wanting to speak to him.

"Please, Clara, darling," He said, his voice breaking slightly, "You need to believe me when I say this. I love you with all my heart."

He lets go of her hand and she places her free hand on his shoulder, Tavington reaches into his pocket and pulls out the necklace.

He passed.

Clara smiles as he guides her off to the side, turns her around so that her back is facing him, and puts the locket around her neck. He smiled softly and looked down at her, caressing her cheek with his hand gently.

"I love you," He whispers, with a gentle smile.

"Always?"

"Always." He said, leaning down, Clara beat him to it, wrapping her around his neck. Their lips embraced, both of their eyes were closed.

Bordon and Wilkins were watching from afar, giving the two an approving look.

William pulled away and held her face with his hands, "I love you, with all my heart."

"I forgive you." Clara gives her lover a gentle smile. William nods and pets her hair, smiling bright. He gives her one last kiss before they head back and dance nearly all night. Clara melted into his arms, happy, she wanted to stay like this forever. As long as they were together she would be satisfied. He kissed her forehead and held her tight in his arms.

"I love you." He continued to whisper multiple times in her ear, making shivers go down her spine. She looked up into his icy blue eyes which were soft and welcoming.

Wilkins and Bordon looked at each other, then at the couple who were dancing. They nodded and smiled at each other.

"We did good." They smile, "Now we wait and make sure nothing bad happens between them."

"Of course," Wilkins said with a grin, "She looks so happy."

"They both do." Bordon says, crossing his arms, "Especially Tavington, haven't seen him smile this way in a while."

The two men smiled and continued to drink and party all night, the night was young and everyone intended to have a great time.

"I love you William." Clara said in a soft voice, looking up at him, "Always."

"Always."