Chapter 4

Marshall POV.

Detroit, 2003.

"You don't have to put pressure on yourself to put out an album already Em, take it easy" Proof told me from the couch.

I let out a sigh listening to him, I turned my chair around so I could see him. We were in the studio but nothing was coming out. I had no writer's block, oh no. I had plenty of inspiration but it was all love shit, stuff that would make me look bad.

"This is bullshit" I sighed feeling angry at myself as I closed my notebook, I wouldn't use any of it anyway.

"What you're writing can't be as bad as you say Doody" he told me convincingly.

"No, it's not bad" I said honestly as I looked at him for a few seconds "but I can't use this shit".

"Why?" he asked confused and I watched as he stood up "go on maybe if you record it you'll think differently listening to it".

I bit my lip thinking about his words, I could do that. There was no one else but us.

Decidedly I nodded taking my notebook and went straight to the booth.

A few minutes later I came out expecting DeShaun to say something to me but he just sat there watching me.

"Is it that bad?" I sighed sitting down in the chair next to him.

"No, it's not bad" he assured me "it's just something different than what you usually do" he sighed looking at me "since when are you writing about Rory?"

I quickly turned to look at him, I thought it hadn't been that obvious.

"I didn't know it had been that obvious" I mumbled leaving my notebook lying around "it's been like a week that I can't stop writing things down thinking about her"

"So have you guys been in touch since the time in London?" he asked and I nodded "that was almost two months ago."

"Yeah and it's been like a month since we talked almost every fucking day."

"What are you two talking about?" he raised an eyebrow and I watched as he settled back in the chair waiting for me to tell him everything.

I let out a sigh and thought about whether to tell him everything or not, but I knew I couldn't lie to him.

"Everything! we talk about my daughters, her son, what we saw on TV, just nonsenses" I shrugged "every day I call her at 12 o'clock here in Detroit, 5 o'clock London."

"that's crazy, I never imagined Rory would ever want to talk to you again."

"Me neither dawg" I said honestly. Shit, I didn't even think I'd see her again.

"But she's not throwing mixed signals at you or anything?"

"Sometimes" I was quiet for a few minutes and denied "Well not really" I sighed frustrated "it's all in my fucking head. Rory is just being Rory..you know what I mean? She's nice to me, she cares about me, she says things that make me laugh. But it's not her fault my stupid ass can't separate being friends."

"Shit dawg I don't know what to tell you" he grimaced a little "if you really can't be friends with her you need to stay away because she's with the father of her child, with Logan" Proof told me as he got up to get some water.

At the mention of Logan I rolled my eyes, Rory hadn't really told me about him yet. She mentioned him but only to tell me some story about Ethan involving his dad but other than that I didn't know anything about the guy.