Chapter 9: Urgent Matter

"So here we are" Cayde said with his arms opened, making both Leah and Gamia sweat-drop. All 3 of them had finally arrived at the moon, and now they were all exploring its surface in search of their goal. "This must be exciting for you, eh Leah? Not very often does a 1st year trainee like you gets to visit the Moon. Much less two times in such a short time!"

"Hehehe... Well, to be honest... I'm more anxious than excited" Leah replied with a fake grin.

Just like that, the 3 guardians kept on moving across the wide grey wastelands that the Moon had, even traversing a few very tight passages until they finally arrived at their destination: the Hellmouth, the same place Ravi and Leah had visited long ago, and that was located at the Ocean of Storms region.

The massive pit was letting out its typical perturbing green glow, and it was just as scary and dangerous-looking as Leah remembered from her first visit. "Hey, Cayde" Leah suddenly called the exo hunter. "You didn't answer my question from before"

"Oh! Right" Cayde replied. "Well, the reason for you to come along with us is quite simple. The Vanguard is testing the idea of having 1st year trainees travel to another foreign locations outside of Earth. And you are basically part of the test"

"Wait... Really?!" Leah startled in surprise. For commander Zavala and Ikora to actually consider such an idea sounded very difficult to the huntress, but it was true. The Vanguard was really thinking of that. And if that idea somehow managed to turn into a reality, then a whole new world of experiences would open for the younger guardians. "Gamia, did you really not know about this?"

"Not at all" Gamia bluntly replied. "I may be in my 3rd year, but I'm still a trainee. There are many Vanguard secrets I still don't know. However, I do assume there will be some... regulations... in case this idea actually happens"

"You couldn't be more right" Cayde stated. "Even if Zavala approves the 1st year trainees to go beyond Earth, their destinations will be limited to the Moon and probably Mars"

"I see... Well, that actually makes quite a lot of sense" Leah finally said as the whole trio arrived at their next destination: the entrance to the Hive underground tunnels which Ravi and Leah had explored some time ago.

The little and tight open area surrounded by rocky small mountains was still in the exact same state as when Leah and Ravi visted it long ago. The giant hive-style entrance, the tons of rubble and debris at each side, and the big hole on the ground the guardian duo had fallen off. All of that was still there.

"Looks like the Hive didn't even bother to clean up this place. That hole trap is still in the same spot"

"The Hive aren't known for cleaning up their messes" Cayde bluntly stated. "If a new hole or superficial deformation appears in their terrain by accident, they simply make it part of their underground colony"

"Wow... I didn't know that at all. You really know a lot about the Hive"

"Hey, I may act like a kid most of the time. But I'm not that dumb, you know?"

Leah sweat-dropped at Cayde's little runt. "O-okay... Sorry... haha..."

The 3 guardians continued their way. Taking out Ravi's tracker device from his pocket, Cayde was in charge of guiding the way through the underground tunnels in search of the so called 'World's Grave'. Also, being the elite guardian that he was, the exo hunter didn't seem that concerned about the dangers he could find inside the tunnels. Though in the end, nothing could prepare the team for what was gonna happen soon.