Chapter 12: Hive Pit

"KYAAAHH! WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE THIIINNGS!" Kadiah yelled in childish fear, the entire team of guardians running across the wide rocky and grotesque hallways while being chased by a whole bunch of hive thralls.

The guardians didn't bother to reply and simply kept on running until they all reached the exit of that passage. "What the...?!" Caleb asked in shock as they all startled at the area they were in.

The place was a very huge pit, not as big as the Hellmouth, but still so deep that the bottom was not even seen due to the darkness that surrounded it. The spot the guardians were standing on was one of the sidewalls located at the middle of the long fall, so the only source of illumination was actually the moonlight entering from the top of the place. That wasn't everything though. At the very middle, there were tens... HUNDREDS... of weird grotesque bridges, some a bit more inclinated than others, which spread all around the place while giving the vibes of an insect hive.

"Wh-what now?!" Caleb asked desperately, the screeches of the horde of thralls nearing more and more until Lord Shaxx finally decided to act.

The elite titan turned around and faced the thralls. Barely moments before the monsters caught up to the guardians, he shot a bolt of lightning straight towards the roof. Rocks and rubble fell down as they covered the path, granting Ravi and the others some more time to continue their way.

"Everyone! Jump onto the bridges! Now!" Lord Shaxx ordered as the guardians startled, Idus being the one to make them react and reafirming Shaxx's order.

"What are you waiting for? Let's go!" the awoken boy said as he jumped forward, landing on one of the grotesque bridges and making his way around.

The rest of the trainees obeyed as they jumped as well, soon being followed by Shaxx... And later on, by the countless hive thralls clearing the path in front of them. As they kept on running along the bridge, the guardians startled when many more thralls and acolytes suddenly landed onto the bridge by jumping from different directions, some of them coming from some other upper bridges, and others climbing and using their claws to crawl beneath the bridge they all were on.

The acolytes started shooting their guns at the guardians, these last ones dodging and running around until the countless green laser shots made them fall down from the bridge.

"AH! GUYS!" Kadiah yelled as she fell and landed on another lower bridge, her friends watching in tension while suffering from the same fate a few seconds later. "GUUUUYYYSS!!"

Kadiah's voice echoed through the entire hive pit. The guardians had scattered around while dodging attacks... and attacking too at whoever happened to be on their way. Though they were clearly being slowly outmatched due to the abnormal number of enemies gathered together in order to take them down. There was no telling for how long were they gonna be able to endure.

Suddenly, another group of hive acolytes focused their shots at Kadiah. This last one grumbled as she quickly dodged while slowly being cornered more and more. The awoken girl was forced to create a void purple barrier with her powers, the many shots being so much that she was not gonna last much longer. Luckily for her, the acolytes shooting at her were then abruptly taken down by some powerful and precise fire pellets... courtesy of Idus and his amazing hand canon. 

"Stand up! Quick!" Idus yelled as he landed next to Kadiah and offered his hand to her. 

The warlock stuttered a bit before holding his hand. As soon as she stood up, lots of other thralls rushed towards them while the duo worked to together in order to take them down.

"Kadiah! Crouch!"

The girl obeyed as Idus aimed and shot a more powerful bullet that took down several enemies at once. It wasn't over yet though. At that moment, many other thralls crawled from beneath the bridge and attempted to attack Idus, Kadiah reacting just in time in order to save him from being slashed to death.