PART 5

"The Dread Doctors by T

"The Dread Doctors by T.R. McCammon." Lydia read the book's cover.

"What?" Malia asked.

"I don't know. There's something about it." Lydia replied staring at the book.

"Has anyone read it yet?" I asked.

"Just me. And I didn't understand any of it." Malia replied.

"We should all read it." I suggested.

"Kira's working on that." Malia spoke.

We got to Malia's locker and she opened it.

"Stiles says he can't find anything on the author. He thinks it's a pen name." Malia explained.

Lydia turned the book revealing a synopsis. I frowned reading the synopsis.

""In a small New England town, teenagers are taken in the night and buried alive. Days later, they emerge transformed, wreaking havoc and spreading terror, commanded by an ancient order of parascientists known only as the Dread Doctors:"" I read and raised my eyebrows. "This sounds strangely familiar."

"How does it end?" Lydia asked.

"It doesn't. This is supposed to be volume one." Malia answered.

"Let me guess, there's no volume two because we're living in it." I sighed.

"Then maybe the real question is, is this a novel or someone's prediction?" Lydia asked.

[...]

I was in class. I was trying to fin something on the book. I noticed something and frowned.

"Why is your heart beating so fast?" Malia whispered.

"Because I'm near you, darling." I joked. "I found something, on the acknowledgements page. There's a name."

"Which one?" Malia asked.

""For providing scientific perspective and invaluable insight, this book is dedicated to Dr. Gabriel Valack."" I read.

"Do you know him?" Malia asked.

"Yeah, and I know where to find him." I replied.

[...]

"Lia, I'm going with you." Stiles grabbed his jacket.

"You said you were sick. That's why I came to see you." I raised my eyebrows.

"I'm slightly under the weather."

"Then you're staying. Malia's not going either, stay with her." I replied.

"Malia's not going because she knows that that place is a nightmare asylum of insanity and death, okay? Let's go." He moved his shoulder and I saw him wince.