PART 9

"So, if this place is so important, how come you didn't want to show it to me before?" Parrish asked

"It's not easy to find." Lydia replied.

"Should we put it in the GPS?" He asked confused.

"I don't think that'll work." I raised my eyebrows.

"So, how are we going to find it?" He asked. "Because I don't remember ever being anywhere near a giant tree stump."

Lydia and I looked at each other when we saw Parrish turn right.

"I think you're already starting to remember." Lydia spoke.

"How do you know that?"

"You took a right turn." I replied.

Parrish frowned in realization of what he had done.

[...]

Parrish, Lydia, and I were walking through the woods.

"Do you recognize anything?" I asked looking around.

"Nothing." Parrish replied. "I'm trying, but it all looks like woods to me."

"Maybe you're thinking about it too much. Maybe it's something you need to feel." Lydia spoke.

"How do I do that?" He asked.

Lydia threw a punch at him and Parrish stopped her hand. I smiled and crossed my arms looking at them.

"What was that for?" He asked smiling.

"To get you to stop thinking." Lydia replied.

Lydia threw another punch at him and Parrish dodged it.

"Oh, is this supposed to motivate me?" Parrish asked, still smiling.

"No. It's supposed to get  you to stop thinking."

She punched and kicked him and I laughed a little. They began to fight while I looked at them amused.

Parrish grabbed Lydia's arms stopping her. Both breathing heavily and smiling.

Oh, just kiss already.

Parrish's eyes glowed.

He started walking through the woods. Lydia and I followed him. There it was. The Nemeton in front of us.

"Oh my God." I saw how there were bodies lying around the tree's stump.

[...]

"I need to call it in. No, I need to turn myself in." Parrish spoke altered.

"That doesn't sound like a good idea." I shook my head.

"You just told me I'm the one taking the bodies. I've attacked other law enforcement officers. That's a criminal offense. I shouldn't even be near you." He spoke worried.

"We're not afraid of you." Lydia answered.

"I'm afraid of me."

"Whatever's happening seems to only happen when there's a body. Other than that you're still a pretty nice guy. And you're a pretty good deputy." Lydia spoke trying to calm him down.

"I'm a very good deputy. And I'd like to stay that way. Flipping over Jeeps and attacking colleagues doesn't exactly fit "protect and serve." I'm covering up the bodies of murdered teenagers."

"You're not  "covering them up"." I spoke and stopped to think. "Or maybe you are, but not with a bad intention."

"What?" Parrish asked confused.

"You're not covering up the bodies, Parrish. You're covering up the supernatural." I explained.

"What's the difference?"

"Maybe you're keeping the secret safe. Maybe that's part of what you do." Lydia answered.

"I'm a deputy." Parrish reminded us.

"You're not just a deputy. And you aren't one of the bad guys." Lydia spoke.

"You just showed me that my dream was real. But you haven't heard the rest of it."

We both looked at him.

"Every time I carry a body to the Nemeton, I put it down and add to the ones that are already there."

"How many?" Lydia asked.

"Hundreds. Hundreds of them." Parrish replied.

[...]

I was in my room. I was trying to find out what Parrish was.

"Supernatural Creature That Takes Bodies"

Nothing matched the description.

"Guardian of the Supernatural"

Nothing. I sighed.

"What is Parrish?"

Obviously nothing. My brain wasn't working. God, I'm supposed to be super smart. Why can't I figure this out?

I laid down on my bed and looked out the window. It was raining.

I pursed my lips and out of nowhere I had a strange feeling. It was like a pain in my chest. Like a hole. I felt something in my hand and when I looked at it I saw a wrench. I blinked several times and it disappeared. I looked up and around the room confused.

"Scott knows."  The words came out of my mouth on their own.

[...]