PART 6

"My mom's book club usually has more wine

"My mom's book club usually has more wine." Lydia spoke.

"Well, they also probably didn't read books that cause violent hallucinations." Stiles replied.

"That's why Malia's here." Scott pointed her.

"So none of us go running into the traffic?" Kira asked.

"Or worse." Scott replied.

"Like what happened to Judy." Malia mentioned and we looked at her.

"Who?" I asked confused.

"Chapter 14." Malia replied.

"Maybe I should have my mother read it. She might remember a girl with a tail leaping off the ceiling and attacking everyone." Lydia spoke and I sighed.

My mother had been pretending she hadn't seen anything. As if she was blind or rather in denial.

"Hey, if it works." Stiles added.

"It has to." Lydia and I said at the same time and we looked at each other.

"What does that mean?" Scott asked.

"I think I saw them during my surgery." Lydia answered.

"I saw them in my bedroom." I added. "When I look at the book it's like..."

"A memory trying to surface." Theo completed and I looked at him.

"Exactly."

"Isn't that what Valack wanted when he wrote it?" Kira asked.

"If they did something to us, I want to know what it is." I replied.

We each took a copy of the book to start reading it. I looked at the cover and tilted my head. None of this gave me a good feeling. It was a strange feeling in my chest that told me that I'd regret this. I took a deep breath and opened the copy.

[...]

We kept reading the book. My vision got blurry. I sighed and rubbed my eyes trying to focus.

"Anyone feel anything yet?" Scott asked.

"Tired." Kira answered.

"I'm kind of hungry." I added.

"I think he meant the book." Theo spoke.

"Being hungry isn't a side effect?" I asked and he shook his head smiling. "I'd die for an ice cream."

"Let's finish this and I'll take you out for ice cream." Theo suggested and a small smile appeared on my face.

I turned my sight back to the book to keep reading. I looked at the letters and suddenly, they scrambled. I blinked several times and they were normal again. I kept reading and my eyelids were getting heavier and heavier, my body was starting to relax for some reason.