Chapter 25

Surrounded by a darkness with micro shades of flashing lights
The echoes of crashing vibrated through my body
Head lowered as I am too heavy to escape, to even see if help is in sight
Suddenly something is beginning to burn slowly yet passionately
Growing steadily as each second agonizingly dragged behind the other
The crashing seems to be ringing out louder now
My body, my conscious is screaming at me as yet my lips sit unmoving
Even if i had the desire to move, I wouldn't know how
My focus quickly captured by the two sensations
They battled, striking ferociously in an attempt to dominate
Who am I to resist something so powerful
Who am i to disturb, Who am i to irate
So I slip away in a spiral drowning
Nothing but a shell now.

Goddess

I pushed my food around the dish once more. The presentation and aroma of the food seemed to be tasty and appealing. I just couldn't bring myself to ingest any of it. Surely, it doesn't help that I can feel his emerald eyes inspecting my every movement. Lately this is how my nights played out.

In the beginning, I rarely saw him. I was never aware of his movements in nor out of his property. Even if I had attempted to keep him under observation, I would have simply gotten lost in this place. As I have done so embarrassingly a great number of times from just exploring, from just trying to exist. Not to mention the peering eyes of his staff.

Nowadays, his presence has shifted to being seen more often. I've experienced very few close encounters. Yet, I've peeped that he would surveillance me more frequently. Sometimes I would look back. He never shied away, meeting my gaze and he never spoke a word. He just observed discreetly. Now, he insists on having dinner with me every night. There still has been little to no communication between us.

As disturbing as his eerie presence might be, curiosity is always in the mix of my emotions. He hasn't displayed any malice towards me physically nor mentally. Surprisingly, he pretty much caters to my every desire with the exception of me being free. Despite all of that, his presence screams danger. Memories of him killing that man in cold blood still plagues my conscience as a warning to not be too trusting of his behavior towards me.

"You should eat. You've been neglecting your well being lately." His words suddenly yanked me from my deep thoughts. I peered up at him, cocking my head to the side and then back to my plate. My already small appetite seemed to wane away until nothingness was left. While pushing the plate away from my vicinity, I met those emerald orbs again.

"Did you poison my food?"

"You are always so bold, yet so shy."

"You didn't answer the question."

"I would never harm you."

I couldn't hold in the little snicker that escaped my lips. Those words just triggered something in me. A cold blooded killer telling me he wouldn't harm me seemed like a little fable you tell kids.

"You find my promise amusing."

"You expect me to believe you."

Suddenly he rose up from his chair, and that sent my heart freezing over with fear and oddly enough curiosity. Breathing seems like it is extremely difficult to do with his scent now filling my nostrils. He kneeled beside me resting one hand on the side of my right thigh as his finger tips circled my exposed skin sendIng goosebumps racing along my entire body.

His intense study of me did nothing more than frighten me. There was another feeling I couldn't quite understand sending my nerves into overload. If I didn't know any better, I would say he is attempting to soothe me.

"I would never harm you. Even if you were to attempt to kill me dead now, I wouldn't lift a finger towards you in a hostile manner. I'm aware of how this arrangement may be affecting you, so I've given you room to adapt."

"That's a lot to ask me to believe after witnessing all that I have. Why am I here?"

"Reality is this world is fucked up. This world is dark and cruel. Either you can be a fish being preyed upon or you can be the shark who does the preying. I just so happen to be a shark. I'm not a saint. Still, there are a few lines that I wouldn't even dare to cross. There are tortures that I wouldn't dare inflict on anyone. It may not seem like it, but I gave that man an easy way out. Though I have my flaws, I would never display that type of behavior towards you. I can tell that you have been dealt a horrible hand. I see a lot of myself in you. I desire to be that person who protects and honors you. I want to be someone who won't take your kindness for weakness. I want to be someone who will be honest with you even if it hurts you because I understand that you highly value honesty."

"You could easily pick up any random girl off the street with similar problems."

"True, yet why would I? I have you now. And as I said, you remind me a lot of myself."

I remained quiet as I attempted to process his words. Did it really matter if I believed him? It is obvious he isn't planning to let me go. At least I'm not in any danger so far. I should just be appreciative that things aren't as bad as I would have thought.

"Now may you please eat?" I gave a small nod.

"Thank you. Ms. Diane, please bring me a fresh dish. This one has turned ice cold."

"It's fine. It's not really that-"

"The food is now cold and disgusting and I refuse to allow you to ingest something of that nature." He stood leaning over me as he pressed his lips onto my forehead. I gasped holding the area in shock. I watched him walk away unbothered, continuing to order people around. Those feelings from earlier only expanded, overwhelming me now. It shouldn't be such a shocker that he would be so bold. I just continued to sit muted in disbelief and something else.

"How long will I survive like this until everything just turns to shit ."

Besides the fact that I am being watched, it's pretty comfortable here I must admit. A man with as much money as he has, living this so comfortably is more of a lifestyle than a treat.

How does someone adjust to something like this?