003. high school brings out the worst in people

SCHOOL ON THE REZ was something that Lena wasn't looking forward to, at all. She was never good at making friends, and thought that her school work was futile, since she was going to live out the rest of her life as a shapeshifter who turned into a wolf. Math was the least of her problems.

The lead of that race would go to figuring out her new schedule, which was entirely different to her previous one. She stood dumbly in the middle of the hallway, staring down at the slip of paper like she was waiting for it to tell her what to do. Unfortunately, Bella didn't go to school here, so she didn't have anyone to rely on to help her. But, just as she was about to give up all hope, a familiar mop of dark hair caught her eye, Lena immediately jogging over.

"Embry!" The junior in question swivelled around at the sound of his name, smiling at the sight of Lena, who stood in front of him.

"Hey, Lena. Long time no see." He replied, ignoring the open mouths of his friends, who couldn't believe that the seventeen year-old was talking to this girl.

"Think you could help me figure this shit out?" The wolf asked, waving her schedule in the boys face. He grabbed it, looking it over, and then looking at her with that smile still on his face.

"Hells yeah, I can. We don't have any classes together, but our first and second periods are on the same floor, so I'll walk you." He spoke, receiving a thankful nod from Lena. Waving goodbye to his friends, the two made their way to Lena's first class.

It was English. And although Lena had a respect for those who put time and effort into analysing texts, writing profound poems, all that jazz, she didn't really like doing it herself. Luckily for her, she was entering the school right after winter break, which meant her class was starting a new topic for that term, so the girl didn't have to do much catch up work.

Unfortunately for her, all the friends she had made in her first week here were either in the grade below her, or went to a completely different school than her. She was sat next to a girl with a grown-out pixie cut, the tips of her strikingly blonde hair touching her eyebrows slightly. They hadn't spoken since Lena had entered the classroom, receiving looks for being with a junior—Lena didn't see the problem, Embry was sweet—but from what the dark haired girl observed, she had pretty handwriting and excelled in this class.

"Hey—" Lena turned in her seat to look at the girl, it was five minutes to the bell and she didn't know where her next class was, "Do you think you could tell me where my class is?"

The unnamed girl silently took the schedule from Lena's hands, looking over it with no certain expression, "Yeah, it's the same as mine, I'll walk you."

The new girl smiled and internally sighed in relief at the girls words. "Thanks."

After the bell had gone there was a five minute rest period before the second one, which gave the students time to get to their next class without needing to rush. It also gave the blonde girl—who's name was Rebecca, Lena had learned—time to explain all that she needed to before they got there. The shapeshifter was quite liking her new friend, and was relieved to have made one her own age. The two girls were currently strolling down the hall at a nice pace, Rebecca chatting about the do's and don't's of the Rez.

"Don't make friends with people from Forks, and if you do, keep it on the down-low. People here have such a problem with that town, like it isn't the same as La Push just without the acres of farmland." Rebecca complained to her new friend as they walked, the other girl listening intently. She was already friends with Bella, but she wasn't going to stop just because people from the Rez have a problem with it.

"Don't piss off the Hall Monitors on Steroids—"

"What?" Lena interrupted, "What's that?" She chuckled a little at the nickname, an image of kids with bulging muscles telling you threateningly that you don't have a hall pass. Rebecca went to answer, but stopped when someone bumped harshly into Lena's shoulder.