038. forever a protector

"IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT I SHOW YOU."

Lena watched with bated breath as Alice pulled her hand away from Aro's own, "Even when you see, you still won't change your decision."

Lena tensed, this was it. Alice knew, she'd always known, that a battle would break out. She just wanted to give them time, give them a fighting chance. She turned to face them all, "Now."

Bella didn't waste a second, sending Rey and Jacob on their way. Lena felt odd at that moment, she'd never gone into a fight without Jake there, and his absence left a gnawing feeling at her chest.

Alice sent a swift kick to Aro's chin, and he flew back over his sea of people and into the snow. Landing on his feet, he straightened up and glared at them. Two guards held onto Alice, and each side stepped up with snarls.

"Let her go!" Carlisle shouted, running up towards Aro, who was meeting him in the middle with his own run. Both men jumped, and there was a blur of movement before they landed. Aro straightened up, holding Carlisle's decapitated head.

She could vaguely hear Sam in her head barking orders, but she couldn't bare to listen over the roaring in her own ears. Rage rushed through her in waves, and she was running up to the Volturi on quick feet before she could comprehend her own movements. She could see the rest of the group joining them, but didn't turn to look before jumping up and sinking her teeth into a cloaked asshole. She ripped off his head before jumping on another, clawing her eyes out and biting her face off.

She heard a cry of agony, turning her head to see Jasper - dead on the ground. The ringing in her ears got louder, and she sprinted towards the little shit who had done it. Bodies and limbs flew past her, but she simply jumped on top of the hooded figure still holding onto Jasper's limp body and tore at him until he was a pile of shreds and stone.

Looking up, she spotted Jane, who looked her in the eyes and said nothing. But nothing needed to be said, because Lena's body was erupting in thousands of volts of pain and she was falling back with a whimper. Sound disappeared from her ears and she curled up until she couldn't anymore. The pain was unbearable, she felt as though her bones were snapping one by one and her skin was being ripped apart.

But then it vanished, and she looked up to see Paul taking a lovely bite out of Jane's neck - snarling and barking like a madman. She stood, shaking it off and sending a nod. Before either of them could do anything else, however, a howl of grief echoed through the crowd. Turing their heads, they see Leah whimpering to the air and Lena's heart drops.

Seth.

She feels as though her heart stops beating entirely when her eyes land on his body, limp and cold. Then she's stumbling, and Paul his ripping apart anyone who dares come near her, and her ears are ringing and she can't see a thing but the poor little boy - fifteen years old - who she'd promised to protect, dead on the snowy ground.

Then the ground is shaking, and she is snapped back into reality by Benjamin, who has just punched a crack into the earth. People stumble and fall, some are pushed into the abyss, and Lena and right back into battle mode the second she sees a cloaked dickhead running up behind her boyfriend.

And after swiftly destroying him limb from limb, she looks up just in time to see Leah fall into the abyss too. And then the feeling is back, and she angrier than ever. At the Volturi. At herself. And she channels it, because now the leaders are joining into the fight and Lena is heading straight towards that blonde bastard.

They jump at one another, and he hits her hard, but she recovers quickly and swipes at him roughly. They circle each other, before she's leaping and his hands are at her mouth, stopping her from taking a bite out of his head. They struggle for a moment, and then she hears Bella struggling in the distance.

She shouldn't. She knows she shouldn't and she can practically hear Sam in their training sessions telling her not to worry about anyone but herself in a direct confrontation if she wants to stay alive to help them later. But she doesn't know if she'll be able to help them later, and the protector in her tells her to help them now.

So she does. She turns away from Caius and takes a swipe at the man holding Bella back from helping Edward, who is trapped by Aro. The man drops her, and Bella has time to only nod at Lena before running to help Edward. Lena stops, watches as they kill Aro together, and almost forgets about Caius until he is wrapping his arms around her from behind and squeezing.

She can't see him, but she sees Bella and Edward turn at the sound of her struggle. She sees Paul stop his own fight and begin sprinting towards her, she can hear their voices - all of them - shouting her name in her head because the battle is pretty much over and they're all okay. The last few stragglers are swiftly taken out and the pack, and the Cullens, are racing towards her in a last minute effort.

But it doesn't work. Because all Caius needs to do is squeeze, and her bones are snapping in half, and she is limp on the ground. She whimpers one last time, her breaths coming out of her in pants, and watches as Bella leaps at Caius and the pack runs at her. Her eyes scan them, they are ok.

Her pack is okay. She protected them, just like she was meant to do, and now she can die peacefully knowing she died a protector. Because that was her fate, it had always been her fate.

-mills speaks!

lol

canon things that occurred during the fight that i didn't write in:

1. marcus was killed immediately

2. embry and quil double team like six vamps at once

3. rosalie stops a vamp from coming at lena whilst she's not looking

4. when lena killed that guy who was coming after paul, it turned him on a bit

anyways....

yall at me whilst reading this angst: