037. the volturi

WHEN LENA WOKE UP THAT MORNING, she felt comforted by the sight of the white on the ground. It took her back to early childhood, when she would play in the snow with her uncle and make snowmen and snow-wolves.

But then she was snapped back into reality by the distinct groan of Jacob Black from beside her. Turning her head away from the open flap of the tent, she looked at the sleeping bag across from her, where Jake was sleeping. The two of them were forced to share a tent - as the only werewolves of the group - but shared tense eye contact when they both noticed the snow sticking to the ground. She could hear commotion outside from the members of their group that didn't need sleep and were quick to exit the tent and join them.

They had camped up close to the field where they were planning on having their 'talk' - to ensure no witnesses or property damage on the Cullen's very nice house. When all Edward did was nod when they made eye contact, Lena fiddled with her necklace nervously and got out her phone to text the group-chat.

PACK LYFE

Today

LENA
come now

Then, her phone was off and back in the tent, and the group were gearing up to walk into battle.

Considering the history between Vampires and Shapeshifters - the back were told to stay back in the forest until their cue. So when Bella and Edward, along with everyone else, walked off to the middle of the field to meet the Volturi, Lena and the pack stayed behind - in form and ready to go.

Sam idled up next to her, "You ready?"

She huffed through her nose, "As I'll ever be."

When the Volturi did emerge from the woods, a chill seemed to run down the spine of everyone there. Their black and red robes did nothing but intimidate the group, even as Lena picked up Edward's mutter of, "Aro's looking for Alice."

The reminder that Alice and Jasper were still not present only scared her more, but she stood her ground and waited for her cue. When the group of hooded vampires were halfway across the snow, Sam nodded and howled to the rest of the pack - their cue to step out into the open clearing themselves. Lena was up front, and saw the Volturi physically pause at their presence, it gave her a sense of satisfaction as she walked up beside Edward, with Jacob next to Bella. They gave each other a nod, and Lena felt Edward's cold knuckles brush against her fur slightly in acknowledgment.

The Volturi removed their hoods and it was clear to Lena who the leaders were - even the teenagers stood off to the side had an air of authority that couldn't be beat. Carlisle stepped forward, and even though there was about half a mile between the two groups, he only needed to mutter his next words.

"Aro. Let us discuss things as we used to." His voice was soft, welcoming, "In a civilised manner."

"Fair words, Carlisle." Aro responded, "A little out of place given the battalion you've assembled against us."

Lena thought it was a bit hypocritical for him to say, since his group of Voldemorts was twice the size of their gathering, but didn't make a move.

"I can promise you, that was never my intent." Carlisle responded, "No laws have been broken."

"We see the child." Some blonde haired freak spoke up, "Do not treat us as fools."