Chapter Twenty-Nine

As Claire changed into her floral two-piece swimsuit Eve had bought her, she swore she could have never felt so exposed in her entire lifetime. It covered her slim body, but she always felt like her whole body was out on show. She sighed as she stared at the girl in the mirror and rubbed her arms. Claire didn’t look beach chic like Eve would, and when she looked down at her pale legs; she realized she couldn’t even pull off looking Goth beach chic. She looked around the room and pulled on one of Shane’s shirts from last night. She looked in the mirror, and she looked like Claire. Auburn brown hair that just past the top of her shoulders with pale skin and plain features. Claire shrugged, she just keep the shirt on. Problem resolved.

She walked out of her room, and was immediately blasted by sunlight. Claire hadn’t understood how the house was vampire friendly before, but she totally understood it now.

The windows weren’t like ordinary windows. It was some type of science that Claire hadn’t figured out yet. The glass on the windows worked as some type of filter, and as the sunlight coursed through them it didn’t affect vampires. They had even made a fake beach for the vampires that had lived in the Orrington beach house, and she guessed that would be where Michael would spend his days at the beach. As Claire drifted off into her own world, she collided into Eve.

“Whoa,” Eve yelped as she steadied Claire. “Earth to Claire? You with me?”

“Yes, Eve. I’m fine.” Claire smiled and laughed as her best friend looked at her wide-eyed. Eve looked her up and down.

"Girl, where's your swim suit?" Eve asked, as she folded her arms across the black sheath she wore over her bikinis she had bought before leaving Morganville. Claire bit her bottom lip. Sometimes Eve walked a fine line between playing the loving mother and totally mortifying Claire.

"I’m wearing it,” Claire said quietly. “It’s just under the shirt.”

“Claire bear, you’re beautiful. Don’t hide yourself.” Claire shrugged and looked down for a few long moments before she looked back up at Eve. “Shane thinks you’re beautiful.”

“Shane’s a guy, Eve. We all know what they want.”

“Well, yeah that’s true. But, you are gorgeous. And Shane thinks you’re hot, and that is the truth. Don’t deny it.”

Eve winked and passed Claire, disappearing into what Claire guessed was Michael’s room. Claire bit her lip and looked down, her fingers running along the hem of Shane’s shirt. As she drifted away, again, warm hands squeezed the side of her waist.

“Hey!” She exclaimed as she spun around. This time it was Shane who bumped in to her in the doorway. “Don’t sneak up on me.”

"What's with the shirt?" Damn, did everyone want to see her half naked? She just had to wait for Michael to storm out and demand that she take off the shirt. Claire shivered. Wow, that would be beyond weird. He tugged on the bottom of the shirt and gave Claire a lopsided smile. It shouldn’t have been a big deal. Shane had seen her in way less than a swimsuit, and yet, it was a big deal somehow. Shane tugged on the shirt again, trying to lift it up. "What's wrong with the suit?"

“I just don’t want to go out in the bikinis. That’s all.”

Claire looked up at him and his face flashed that beautiful, hot look that made her stomach flutter and her blood boil in that enjoyable way. "Can I please see it?" His voice could have melted butter. Claire shrugged and looked down. "You know, I think you're extremely hot?” Claire blushed and opened her mouth to protest, but Shane bent down and took her face in his hands. “You're beautiful Claire, if anyone tells you otherwise they're insane.” Claire smiled and pressed her lips to his. It was only a simple kiss, but it still made her feel warm inside. “Now come on. I have a surprise for you.”