Chapter Nine

The sun crept through the window, causing streaks of sunshine to light up parts of the room.

Claire groaned and pulled the covers over her head to block out the invading light. The top of her head poked out of the covers, and she turned to see that Shane wasn't asleep next to her. She stretched and sat up in the bed. His cotton pyjama pants were thrown on the ground, and Claire shook her head. Typical Shane. She combed a hand through her hair quite easily to be honest. It would seem like Claire's hair was going to agree with her today. She yawned as she slipped out of the bed and made her way to open the curtains in the room. She squinted a little at the sun, before turning and making her way out of Shane's room.

Claire passed Eve's room. Eve's door was wide open, and she'd started cleaning and organising her room. She'd obviously left for work before she got to finish. Claire's eyes drifted to the secret room close to Shane's room. He'd used that as his hideout back before Morganville had boarded the crazy train. Well, the even crazier train. When Claire had died the Glass House had saved her, and that room was the only room where she could be seen. She shook those thoughts from her head and continued down the hall. She glanced at Michael's bedroom door before she made her way down the stairs. His door was closed, and most likely locked. If he wasn't asleep in his room, she had no idea where he could be. Michael was now more resistant to the sun than he once was, but Claire doubted that he would walk out in broad daylight just yet. She descended the steps, and heard the Morganville Morning News on the television. She rubbed her bare legs when she felt the cold.

"Not now, Miranda." Miranda was sort of the new Glass House resident. She didn't appear often, maybe she didn't want to. Just like Michael and Claire, Miranda had been saved by the Glass House. But because Miranda had some sort of psychic ability she was able to turn into human form at nights. That was something that Micheal had too, because he was a part of the Glass bloodline. Claire stepped out of the cold spot and made her way to the kitchen. Shane turned to face her. He grinned when he saw her. He was dressed in faded blue jeans, an old Foo Fighters T-shirt, and he was holding two coffee mugs.

"You're up," He said. His voice took on a gentle edge. Claire didn't doubt that he was still thinking about Claire's teary eyes last night. "I would have thought that you would sleep in." He handed her a mug with Mickey Mouse painted on it.

"Thanks," She said and took the cup. "But I'm not a slacker like someone in this house."

Shane took a sip of his coffee and gave Claire a look, "Just so you know, I would have ditched work today.. But I didn't."

Claire nodded and her voice took on a serious tone. "Good."

Shane put the coffee cup down and lent against the counter, "You okay Claire?"

She nodded, but then it slowly changed to a shake of her head, "No. Listen Shane, there's

something -" Her phone went off just then. Claire sighed and pulled out her mobile.

Shane picked up his coffee cup again, "Go on. Answer it, I'm not going anywhere."

She didn't know who was calling her, so she pressed the little green phone button. "Hello?"

"Claire," It was Amelie's voice. Cruel and cold and not in the mood for an argument. "I need you to assist Myrnin today."

"But, today is my day off!"

"Sacrifices must be made. Myrnin has been informed of this and is waiting for your arrival." She hung up and Claire bit back a reply that could have gotten her in huge trouble.

"Ugh," Claire complained and dropped her mobile on the bench. Shane was waiting quietly with his eyebrows raised. "Amelie. She says I have to help Myrnin with something."