Chapter Five

"What you two up to?" 

Shane pulled Claire off the bench and spun around to face whoever had interrupted them.

And that just happened to be Eve.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Shane demanded, picking up the lolly bag he had put down earlier.

Claire had a feeling that Shane's plans had changed from teasing little kids to big kids... Like Eve for example. Eve's eyes followed the lolly bag for several seconds before they finally rested on Claire. Today Eve had gone for a simple outfit. Well, It was simple for her. For others, maybe not so much. Her black hair was tied up in a messy bun and she wore her signature raccoon eyeliner. She hadn't gone too extreme on her makeup and she wore a dark purple tank top with a long, silver necklace with small skulls dangling from it.

"Bite me Collins," Eve made her way around the bench so she could properly face them. "Actually, I was on my way to Common Grounds."

"Common Grounds? I thought that you'd already started work this morning?" Claire said, lowering herself back onto the wooden bench.

"Yeah, I had started working. And now I'm not," She paused and watched Shane as he put the lolly bag back down. "But, I just got off my lunch break. I met Michael at one of the Diners, and because he can't, you know, stand the sun, he vampire zig-zagged to Common Grounds."

"Why would he go to Common Grounds?" Shane said. "I know what I'd be doing If I was him."

Both Claire and Eve decided to ignore him, "Why? What's going on?"

"You don't know?" Eve said, eyes widening. Shane and Claire exchanged glances. She could already tell what Shane was thinking. Why the hell did you ask Claire? Claire looked back to Eve and shook her head.

"Oh my god, guys. Karaoke? It's on at Common Grounds from twelve to nine thirty?"

Shane let out a small laugh, "Ollie trying to pull in more customers?"

"Shut up Shane. It's a cool idea." Eve smiled, and the way she looked at them was slightly creepy.

"You should come with me!"

"I don't sing." Shane said, holding two hands up.

"But Claire does."

"What?" Claire exclaimed. "I do not!"

"Well not in front of anyone. But you have such a sweet voice." Eve said. "Come on Claire."

"I can't sing in front of a crowd. Are you serious?"

"Oh come on, it's karaoke!"

"I can't."

"Says the girl whose boss is an ancient, crazy vampire and the other one is the freaking Founder of Morganville. Come on, Claire Bear. You've taken on Vampires and Draug. I think you can do a little Karaoke." She shrugged. And then Shane did the unthinkable.

He agreed with Eve.

"Even Father Joe says you have a nice voice. And you've never let me listen to you sing, but Eve's right. For once."

Eve flipped him off, "Bite me." She turned to Claire. "Come on Claire Bear, It'll be fun."

After a few moments of hesitation, Claire sighed. "Okay fine. But you guys have to do it with me."

Eve jumped up and down, "Yes! Karaoke, here we come!"

*  *  *

Common Grounds was always a busy place. For those who knew the truth about Morganville, deals and agreements between humans and vampires could be made in peace. And besides, they make the best lattes in town. But when the three of them walked into the shop, well, it was even busier. They made their way through groups of people, searching for somewhere to sit. Claire stood on her tip-toes, trying to get a good look at the back of the room. Michael was talking to a man in his mid-twenties. Both Michael and the man helf their guitar cases. Michael's head turned to face his friends, as if he could sense them. He smiled and nodded over to an empty booth. Claire smiled back and tapped Shane's shoulder.