Chapter Seventeen

Claire woke when the cool breeze ruffled her hair. She'd fallen asleep on the floor, and her rear end was uncomfortably numb. She stood up, her legs shaking and made her way sluggishly over to her window. She pushed it closed and pulled the curtains across, then she turned and stood for a few moments.

She was considering going downstairs to talk to Shane, but with just one glimpse at the time, she decided not to. The residents of the Glass house were most likely already sitting down at the table starting their dinner. Claire so didn't feel up to a crowd. Even if it was two of her best friends and her boyfriend. Light footsteps padded softly down the hall, towards her room. There was a soft knock at the door.

"Claire, honey?" It was Eve standing at the door. "I brought you some dinner. Shane made chili.. I would have given you some of that rice, but you slept through almost the whole day. If you want to talk, I'm here." Slowly, and quietly, Claire made her way over to the door. She opened just a crack, but enough to see Eve's black rimmed eyes. "Hey," Eve smiled. "There you are. I worried that you might have passed out or something."

Claire smiled a little, but it was sad and forced. She opened the door a little wider. "I'm sorry. I guess I'm just tired." Claire rubbed her arms. Cool wind was blowing her way again. Hadn't she closed that window just a minute ago?

"Tired," Eve smiled, doing her best to comfort Claire. She knew Claire wasn't tired. She'd been asleep for hours, but she didn't point that out. "Yeah, I get it."

Eve looked down. She was holding a worn out tray with a bowl of chilli and a coke on it. She handed it to Claire. "Well, you still got to eat. You're basically skin and bones already."

Claire took it and placed it on the small coffee table in Claire's room. She glanced at the window, the curtains blew in the wind. She swore she'd closed that window. 

"Miranda's here," Eve said quietly. Claire looked back to her. "We're watching a movie with her. Do you want to come and watch it with us?"

Claire would have said yes, but she just wasn't up for it.

"I'm sorry Eve. Like I said I'm tired and besides, I've got tonnes of homework to do. But I'll come see her later, okay?" 

Eve nodded, "Yeah, sure." She turned and started to walk away. "When you're feeling better, you should talk to Shane you know? I know him, and I don't think he meant what he said."

Claire nodded, sincerely considering it.

"Okay. I'll talk later." And she closed the door, filling her room with darkness.

She felt the cold air on her legs as she felt the wall for the switch. Her heart beat started to quicken, as she imagined monsters crawling out from under her bed like she had thought when she was little. Then again, she was in Morganville. Worse things could crawl out from anywhere. 

She flicked the switch, and the room lit up, instantly drowning her fears.

Sighing, she turned around. Pale face, blue eyes, blond hair.

Crap. Claire reached for the door knob and twisted.

"You locked it," Naomi told her. "After Eve left." Claire turned around slowly, and her eyes moved over everything. Possible weapons and escapes were the first thing on her mind. Claire reached out behind her, searching the door for the lock. As if reading her mind, Naomi narrowed her eyes. "Can you come join me, Claire?"

"I'm fine here."

Naomi's voice was hard and cruel when she spoke again. "Step away from the door Claire." Claire swallowed and obliged. "Don't scream or call for help. I'll kill whoever walks through that door without hesitation. Understand?"